CEO's Chair ÔÇô Tubby Reddy | SASCOC - SASCOC
SEARCH
SASCOC

CEO’s Chair ÔÇô Tubby Reddy

One to remember and one to look forward to… that’s the latest update from Olympic House.

We recently got back from what can only be termed an extremely successful Olympic Games in London.

Six medals, three of them gold, represents Team South Africa’s best performance at an Olympic Games since we returned to the international sporting fold in Barcelona, back in 1992.

Hats off to all our medal winners, those who came very close to medalling and indeed to the entire team who truly gave their all. Thanks also to the officials under Project Manager Chef de Mission Patience Shikwambana and the administration team who saw to it that the team were able to perform.

And thank you also to the host nation Britain, who put on a truly memorable Games.

Now we have headed back to London for the Paralympic Games which start on 29 August and end on 9 September, slightly shorter than the Games.

South Africa and the Paralympics have always had an extremely happy relationship and we seem to perform superbly at these Games. In Beijing we ended sixth on the table with 30 medals and ideally we would want to equal or better that performance.

Having said that its going to be no easy task as the world of Paralympic sport gets tougher and tougher. I must take this opportunity to wish all our Paralympians well at these Games as they settle in under the leadership of Chef de Mission Pieter Badenhorst.

Since we got back from the Olympics we were able to fit in our Annual General Meeting here at Olympic House and the positive vibe was great to see. Our success at the Olympics has clearly rubbed off on the various National Federations and I have no doubt that they will be even more determined to produce a whole new generation of Olympic (and Paralympic) stars going forward.

Ding-Ding!

PS ÔÇô I have been amused by the column from the ÔÇ£Sports JokerÔÇØ to ÔÇ£Wannabee-JournalistÔÇØ, and now ÔÇ£the Boxing AfficionadoÔÇØ!

Ding-Ding!

Not even into Round 2.

This individual believes that he boxes against ÔÇ£a heavyweight administration that punches low, below its weightÔÇØ. Or does he mean he throws a low-blow punch?

I therefore pose the following for him to ponder, prior to punching out: ÔÇô is he sure that the information being supplied to him (which I must presume arises from disgruntled officials or individuals), is in fact correct, accurate and truthful?┬á His contention that he will withdraw any incorrect information published would be interesting.┬á As to the statement that he would gladly retract same ÔÇô let’s see if he is true to his word.

ROUND 1

He makes mention of Investec and their support for the Women’s Hockey Team ÔÇô surely a man of his so-called Sporting Knowledge would be well aware of the provisions of the Olympic Charter with regard to national federations personal sponsors and how they relate to the country’s national team i.e. Team South Africa.┬á Is he suggesting that we have ÔÇ£Investec South AfricaÔÇØ, ÔÇ£Barclays Bank of Great BritainÔÇØ, ÔÇ£Morgan Stanley, United StatesÔÇØ and ÔÇ£Bank of China, ChinaÔÇØ?┬á┬á Surely not, he must be jesting!

The fact that all national federations were made aware of these provisions long before they engaged in sponsorship agreements, must have slipped his mind.  As did the fact that SASCOC has repeatedly on numerous occasions endeavoured to resolve the issues between the national sponsor and the federations, as we successfully did with SASOL and Banyana Banyana which must have also slipped his mind.

Believe it or not we are in agreement with something:  his example of Lance Armstrong is certainly not the right one in regard to sporting behaviour.

ROUND 2

The so-called ÔÇ£self-preserving systemÔÇØ is also a neat little jab, but misplaced, and would suggest he takes the trouble to look at the Sport and Recreation Act together with the amendments thereto, as well as SASCOC’s Memorandum and Articles- which were in existence long before Team SA 2012.┬á Has he ever considered why it is only now that Power Boat South Africa or the disgruntled officials thereof, raise their hands in protest?

ROUND 3

FACT:  Mr Marais is, as he mentions, appointed by the Board of SASCOC and endorsed by the entire membership to look into the affairs of Power Boat SA due to the fact that the membership of PSA complained about the executives not complying with corporate governance and their own Constitution. Where were the audited financial statements that the federation is obliged to give to their members on an annual basis?

Why have the now terminated executive members refused to allow  auditors Deloitte to conduct an investigative/forensic audit into their affairs, and  further refused to hand over to either the administrator or to the auditors the financial documents or banking records?

FACT: In fact he has not had sight of Cost Orders against Power Boat SA and the now terminated former executive members, nor has he had sight of the Court Orders against them in their personal capacity.  Surely a man of his stature would have perused the Court Orders?

FACT:  Why did the terminated previous executive members of Power  Boat SA sign a contract with a foreign promoter which required a substantial deposit to be paid upfront to stage an international event in the Republic,  without consulting with either the Department of Sport and/or SASCOC, in terms of the statutory requirements?  It seems it was good enough for the 2010 World Cup to comply, but not good enough for Power Boating.  Furthermore why was the membership not aware of this?  Surely those persons would implement the decisions of the membership?

Strange but true. Where are the funds of PSA?┬á Should they not be in an official bank account, or could there indeed be such a thing as┬á ÔÇ£Slush AccountÔÇØ or alternative accounts?┬á One would hope not, but┬á surely one must question where the deposit for the above event originated from, as it can only come from a national federation, whether it be to host a general assembly or any other event.

FACT:  The Sport of Power Boat SA is not suspended, and programmes in the various disciplines of Power Boating have, are, and will continue to be implemented for the benefit of the athletes, whilst the membership of the previous executive has been terminated by SASCOC in terms of their powers. Bearing in mind that these  are the same members who refuse to comply with the Administrator despite a court ruling for them to do so, and further object to the entire membership democratically electing a new executive to serve them.

ROUND 4

FACT:  If  he was  in possession of the agreement relating to the F1 Nations Cup he would see the terms and conditions contained therein, and pose the same question:  Where did the deposit come from, and why a private promoter? Lots of punches!

ROUND 5

FACT:  He again falls short in his analysis of both the Weightlifting and Equestrian cases.  A mere glance at the actual Court/ CAS Orders would clearly have cleared his dazed mind.

ROUND 6

FACT:  His quoting of the salaries of myself as Chief Executive Officer, is quite astute- seeing that this is presumably derived from a public document in the audited financial statements approved and agreed upon by the membership.  Has he given any thought to comparing the salaries to those of other Federations and Section 21 Companies before gasping in amazement?  He would certainly stutter and stammer!

ROUND 7

FACT:  He makes mention of duly elected officials in the Sport of Volleyball, and his contention of a Conflict of Interest.  I wonder if he has seen the Minutes of any Meeting of the Sport, or is even aware of any conflict of interest.  I certainly am not, and would not place the Sport or myself in any conflict situation, but obviously that does not warrant a mention by him.

ROUND 8

FACT:┬á Maybe, before assuming the cost of air flights, you should check with SAA the cost of travel between different air lines, and even SASCOC’s Partner Agreement before surmising it is more expensive.┬á Has he checked seat availability or has he secretly arranged an agreement with SAA on our behalf that they will always have seats available for SASCOC.

ROUND 9

FACT:┬á His assumption and protestation at the athletes in the Olympic Village and at the Closing Ceremony ÔÇô surely he is aware that all federations were required to leave the village after their event had concluded?┬á This information had been made available to all concerned, and no questions were ever raised – long before Team SA was constituted or announced.

SECONDS OUT – ROUND 10 ÔÇô FINAL ROUND

Ding-ding!

ROUND 10

Finally his contention relating to an investigation by the Public Protector – information that only he has knowledge of, and his further contention that our President is serving as a Trustee , is truly amazing investigative journalism!┬á He should consider looking at the definition of trustee and the duties of a trustee.┬á His final blow and┬á coup de grace ÔÇô an invitation in an open letter ÔÇô is a true ÔÇ£Haymaker PunchÔÇØ ÔÇô similar to┬á ÔÇ£stand up and let me hit you-┬á but please don’t hit me backÔÇØ

I really do enjoy your column.

Yours in Sport,
Tubby Reddy
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

11 Comments

1. Walt

August 27, 2012 at 11:37 am

No a bad rebuttal, Mr Reddy! You definitely land a few punches, but in fairness, your opponent doesn’t have access to the information you do. The only solution for this kind of mismatch of perception is transparency, including a full audit. Are you up to that?

2. Karen

August 28, 2012 at 8:45 am

Mr Reddy,

Is that what passes for a rebuttal at SASCOC these days? A personal attack on a journalist, whose invitations to discuss this on his show you have, time and again, refused or ignored.

I don’t think so, sir.

3. Donovan

August 30, 2012 at 9:28 am

You have not answered a variety of allegations, and this only leads one to believe them to be true. Good idea to head to the latest column on News24, as this ”sports joker” as you call him, is making you lot look silly.

4. Kiff

August 30, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Nice one Mr Reddy i didnt now that boxing was under administration maybe that’s the next one for you guys??? My final round is that you should wright your own comments and not use someone to keep your dirty nose clean, wake up! the people are talking and this wont go away bribed 😉

5. Greg H

August 31, 2012 at 6:14 am

Mr Reddy, I find this article distasteful and unprofessional. You seemingly have a need to answer the questions posed and instead of answering them you dance around the preverbial boxing ring – why can we simply not get the facts? Who’s bank account is being protected, who’s job is being protected. C’mon man, the SA Public are not idiots and quite frankly I very much doubt that you are either – treat us with the respect we demand and deserve – simple question what are the real numbers behind SASCOC officialdom and TEAM SA? Lets stop this childish and rather irritating to and fro in the virtual world, lets get real!

6. Laraine

August 31, 2012 at 6:37 am

Please distribute this letter to all Sascoc Directors and Members.

It is two years and nine months since I received the attached letter from Sascoc President, Gideon Sam, advising that Adv Michael Collins instructed by Attorneys Siven, Samuel and Associates would be conducting my enquiry in the first quarter of 2010. (Annexure N)

(Annexure O) was my immediate response to Mr Sam’s letter detailing acceptance of these terms and my willingness to appear before Sascoc’s disciplinary inquiry.

After receiving no further communication in response to letters written to Mr Sam after almost nine months, (Annexure B) was the final letter sent to him.

At the same time I was in frequent communication with James Evans who Sascoc appointed as the Interim Chairman and later as President of Athletics South Africa (ASA).

I am still in possession of Evans many e-mails that include his suggestion of two lawyers who could defend me at Sascoc’s hearing (Annexure H). The last communication received from Evans was (Annexure M).

From November 2010 until the present, I’ve had frequent communications from Norma Kotelo, Tersia Grobler and Max Fuzani of the Department of Sport and Recreation. At a meeting that my husband and I attended with Mr Fuzani and members of SRSA’s legal department at SRSA’s offices on 14 July 2011, Mr Fuzani assured my husband and myself that he was liaising with Sascoc on my behalf. He further assured us that ‘Minister Mablula was aware of my situation as I was a highly respected citizen.’ (Annexure X) was the last response received from Mr Fuzani.

I’ve recently been informed that Sascoc decided to revoke its decision compelling me to face a disciplinary inquiry in August 2010. As is evident from my ongoing communication with the authorities detailed, Sascoc never conveyed this ‘decision’ to myself or anyone liaising with them on my behalf. Implicit in their many e-mails is their understanding that Sascoc’s de facto suspension continues.

In terms of administrative action that is ‘lawful, reasonable and procedurally fair,’ as stipulated in Chapter 2, section 3 of the Constitution, I was entitled to be appraised of all developments regarding my suspension. Sascoc’s failure to provide this information is a direct violation of my human right to administrative justice.

The only media comment regarding this is a discovered statement by Tubby Reddy on Sascoc’s own website (2 November 2010).
    ‘If any of the resigned Board members want to serve in Athletics or in any code affiliated as a member of Sascoc, they would be subject to a disciplinary.’
    This injunction can only be interpreted as a life-time ban from all sport.

Should I have been aware of the above statement, I would have immediately presented myself as a candidate for any position in the ASA elections. This would have afforded me the desired opportunity to clear my name. Any reasonable person would conclude that Sascoc withheld this information to prevent my re-election.

My suspension by Sasoc was supposedly based on my support of Caster Semenya’s human right as legal woman to compete in Berlin, a decision that Sascoc insisted resulted from recommendations of their Legal and Arbitration Commission.

To date and despite the fact that I cooperated with Sascoc’s enquiry at all times, no findings from this Commission have been released and no charges have ever been laid against me. I have been informed by my legal advisor that as a contributor to Sascoc’s Legal and Arbitration Commission, I was entitled to receive the report of its findings.

In terms of the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000, this letter also serves as an advisory to Sacoc to furnish me with an unabridged copy of Adv Michael Collins Report.

Mr Sam/ Sascoc neglected to consider my documented 33 years of commitment to athletics, especially in the field of transformation, and my unswerving dedication during the most volatile decades of our country’s history to develop and protect disadvantaged athletes.

I complied with James Evan’s barrage of threatening e-mails and resigned as an ASA Board member in 2009. Gideon Sam and James Evans were notified of my resignation. It was also reported in the Media. To date, I’ve not received an acknowledgement of my resignation letter from ASA.

Despite this, Mr Sam/Sascoc’s letter of 20 January 2010, confirmed that I was still suspended “pending the outcome of a disciplinary enquiry on the charge of bringing ASA, the sport of athletics, Sascoc and sport in (sic) disrepute.

Since no further communication has been forthcoming from Sam/Sascoc, the position of 2010 remains the status quo. I am still suspended, awaiting my disciplinary enquiry and I am resolute that I will face it. Apart from approaching the High Court, this is the only remaining remedy that will clear my name.

I request that Sasoc immediately convene the disciplinary hearing that I have always been ready and eager to attend. Please advise by return the Inquiry details and the list of charges I will be facing.

Regards,

Laraine Lane

7. Don

August 31, 2012 at 8:14 am

Is Tubby Reddy really Mark Keohane or is Mark Keohane really Fatboy Reddy? How can you get away with getting a controversial “spin doctor” to write your articles and then pass them off as being “from the CEO”. Man up and write your own articles.

Would you like some mash and steak to go with that gravy train??

8. MBIRD

September 1, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Well it looks rather disturbing the blog after blog that explains in plain English what thuggery the south African sporting community has to put up with Sascoc.Sascoc is deluded into thinking that what they say is the gospel, it clearly is not with all the spin doctoring, gross unethical behavior and guess what ,there bizarre draconian rules are structured to disallow any sportsman or a federation to complain or voice a opinion without vicious vilification ,suspension and always unexplained or proven criteria of wrong doing. Then they shut all avenues of recourse, and in the same breath claim they are squeaky clean and have done no wrong ,its just a “disgruntled sportsman” who cares. Dispute resolution and ethics committee ?????what a absolute joke ,lead by a complete clown called Mubarak. There is the other joker in the pack called Raymond Hack who attends meetings and when it becomes legal ,his firm gets the go card?? What happened to ethics and attorney client privilege? Out the window when dealing with Sacco. I found this utter drivel on another site ,Kobus Marais trying to validate himself and the actions of SASCOC:
    “Dino. Your comments on the Joffe article refers. I can assure and all others that I have worked strictly according to domestic laws, rules, regulations as well that of the International Federation powerboat subscribe to. A)This is unadulterated crap,why are you in contempt court ,what or who’s constitution did you use to have bogus elections for inflatables,Tubby Reddy contravened the Sports and Recreation act 2010, the small vessel safety at sea act 2007 , and the Transport Act 1985,and why have you engaged with private unaffiliated citizens when your own constitution states you cant?? I have also submitted full reports to the DA on various false allegations against me, in an effort to discredit me. B)Well we have a document from the DA distancing themselves from you and your actions when wearing your silly SASCOC hat ,why is this???. No success for Mr Mjo, Mr Joffe’s informant. Why is Mr Mjo refuse to cooperate with the Deloitte Forensic Investigation. C)For the simple reason that you have given your newly found cronies a free pass from scrutiny,and they are the crux of financial mismangement in that caused them to scuttle off to avoid financial scutiny in the first place , this must be part of the private clandestine “DEAL” you did with these NON members .PSA have all this on tape Mr. Marais,so your continued misinformation is getting lame and stale. SASCOC or myself has initiated no single court action. D)Gee wizz, because of above ,and your unethical dishonest behavior we had to seek relief from the courts. All came from Mr Mjo, with cost orders in all cases against them. E)Money well spent, I see you forgot to mention that the Judge RULED AGAINST YOU ,so if you are doing such a bang up job why are you in contempt??.Your last desperate grasp was to force the judge to recuse himself. Why have we powerboat events nearly every weekend since I became Administrator. F)I hope you don’t mean the disaster of a event held in East London, it was a comical farce ,as for your disgusting inappropriate actions with the inflatable World champions, stopping them from riding in Norway by not following procedures, and then replacing them with a “cheat” who is under suspension for not paying his fines or acknowledging the RULES Mr. Marais,so I gather he was part of the “deal” . You should speak to the real and majority of powerboat participants. The rouge group cannot accept democracy and prudent financial management.” G)Well I have, you know the World Cup champions in inflatable’s that you stopped , the F1 Nations Cup Pilots, the F1 pilots, the jet ski guys who all compete on international platforms all collectively think you are a incompetent ,dishonest, unethical JOKE ,don’t have glue about power boating and is not a patriot by any stretch of the imagination, DEMOCRACY ?why on earth do you and your Autocratic organization refuse to allow athletes to be heard, including PSA,GOT SOMETHING TO HIDE? OBVIOSELY. Prudent financial managemnt,you’ve got to be kidding ,you just gave everbody that refuses to comply a free pass.

9. Laraine

September 13, 2012 at 8:49 am

This follows my open letter above that resulted from three years of Sascoc’s chosing to stonewall my communications.
    It has become critical and in the public interest to know that Sascoc is run as a ‘personl fifedom’ That it operates ‘as a law unto itself.’

A Journalist approached Tubby Reddy for comment after offering to write an article on my ‘suspension without trial’. Reddy’s reponse admits that I am still suspended but he deftly passes the buck to ASA.

‘Laraine, I have finally got through to Tubby Reddy.
    He says in order to lift your suspension, you must face an ASA disciplinary hearing, as opposed to a Sascoc hearing. Have you discussed this with ASA?’

Here is my respondse to the journalist.

I am staggered by this suggestion as I was never suspended by ASA.
    I was suspended in 2009 by Sascoc not ASA. The legal letter was signed by Gideon Sam. Their subsequent 2010 letter stating that I’d be facing a disciplinary enquiry in the first quarter of 2010 was from Sascoc, signed by Gideon Sam.

I have sent you numerous e-mails from James Evans several of which I’ve attached once more. In every communication, Evans as the President of the ASA Board confirms his desire to have my Sascoc suspension set aside.

Here are a few excerpts from his mails. I suggest you forward them to Tubby Reddy.

‘What I have been told is that against everyone else they will withdraw any suspensions.’

‘The delay in dealing with these issues is unconscionable. There is no doubt that some people acted in a manner which clearly makes them liable to disciplinary action, but to summarily suspend everyone and then delay taking action is wrong.’
    ‘Best of luck. I think that what is going on is unconscionable. I am trying to get matters brought to a head as soon as possible. If they have a problem with Chuene or Molatelo, they should deal with them, but keeping everyone hanging in the air is unfair and unreasonable.’

‘I will try to sort out the story of the ongoing and seemingly indefinite suspensions.’

‘I have not tackled them on it yet, as we are hoping there will be a solution coming in the very near future. The best solution now will be to get SASCOC and (in particular) Stander and Adams out of ASA. Fighting them now may be counter-productive. There is a General Meeting next week, where hopefully a way forward will be mapped out which is a happy compromise.’

‘I can’t agree with you more about what SASCOC have been doing – they do have a pretty strong case against Chuene, Sindane and a couple of others, but I am sure you will be surprised with some of the revelations even though you were on the board. Why they have been dragging it out against other people is difficult to understand.’

‘Our problem is two-fold: SASCOC and many politicians want to bury Leonard Chuene and don’t really care about the consequences of how they do it. And then we really have a bunch of incompetent fools running the show now and everyone just accepts it.’

‘We have experienced problems with SASCOC’s lawyers, who refused to accept the election results. We are hoping that the situation will be resolved on 16 November. The issue of the suspended former board members his a pressing one for me and I will ensure it is dealt with next week.’

‘I also expect an announcement soon about the hearings, and hopefully they will drop everything against you.’

Evans’ many assurances confirm that I was and am the subject of a Sascoc suspension.

‘I have done some checking: two people who would do a good job are Adam van Tonder (011 781 0981) or Hendrik van Aswegen (011 523 5300). Van Aswegen is very expensive, but worth it. Van Tonder is also good though.’

Would Evans suggest the names of two lawyers to defend my case in an ASA/his own disciplinary hearing?

Since 2010, the Department of Sport has been communicating with Sascoc not ASA to lift my suspension. Similarly, The Public Protector’s Office and the Human Rights Commission have liaised with Sascoc not ASA. I have been shown Tubby Reddy’s responses.

From Sascoc’s own website (22 November 2010).
    Reddy said, “If any of the resigned Board members want to serve in Athletics or in any code affiliated as a member of Sascoc, they would be subject to a disciplinary.’
    This was a Sascoc injunction. There is no mention of an ASA disciplinary.

While you’re speaking to Tubby Reddy, please enquire why I’ve not received their Collins Commission Report. As mentioned previously, I’ve been assured by the Public Protector’s Office that I am entitled to a copy as I participated in Sascoc’s 2009 commission.

10. Liberete

October 2, 2012 at 11:09 am

How many of your family members are running sporting federations in SA Tubby? Why dont you come clean on how many direct family members of yours are involved in sports federations in SA?

If Thuli had to do an average audit on you im sure you would go back to “fallin asleep” in your car like you used to when you destroyed volleyball in South Africa

11. Pingback: SASCOC CEO’s ‘ghost’ column « zwemza