More problems for ASA | SASCOC - SASCOC
SEARCH
SASCOC

More problems for ASA

Just after being given the go-ahead to resume control of its own affairs Athletics SA (ASA) faced further problems on Friday.

Just on a year after SA’s Olympic governing body SASCOC took over the administration of ASA, suspending its entire executive over the handling of the Caster Semenya gender saga, it was confirmed that SASCOC had relinquished control to the new nine-member ASA board.

However, reports Sapa, hours later a sheriff of the court arrived at the ASA head offices in Houghton and threatened to remove furniture if communications manager Ethel Manyaka did not receive full compensation for a previous suspension.

With ASA administrator Ray Mali out of the office, the sheriff said he would return next week to confiscate furniture if Manyaka had not been paid a R10 500 shortfall on the R77 995 she was awarded in an arbitration hearing.

“Ray was not in the office and he didn’t pick up his phone, so he (the sheriff) attached furniture and said it would be collected early next week unless they do something before then,” said a senior ASA employee who would not be named.

“He said he had written up almost everything including the switchboard.”

8 Comments

1. Concerned Parent

November 22, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Why am I not surprised! Once again I feel so sorry for our future athletes (if there are going to be any). I wish the provinces would stand together and do something! We need to protect and incourage our athletes – so many of them have so much potential and ASA is one major let down – once again!!!!!!!

2. Rage

November 23, 2010 at 4:50 pm

This is the doing of the interim administrators. This should never have happened. They suspended Ethel Manyaka for no reason! People who were part and parcel of this suspension must be held responsible for this action.

Brining the organization into disrepute.

3. Athletics Reporter/Editor

November 26, 2010 at 10:32 am

To concerned parent and Rage:

As someone who is been watching and listening to ASA episode for a while – I would suggest that parents find another way of getting their children to be well equipped, be it motivated, nurtured and empowered in and from other forms. ASA is a shame and in shambles. Everyone has an agenda of his and her own and little interest in the sport and the athletes. The current management is worse than before – with little knowledge and skills of administration let alone the sport. Ray Mali knows no integrity at all. At his old and retired age he was suppose to be walking his grandchildren in the park and stop making a fool of himself instead he continues to lie and acting corruptly. He himself has to be investigated. Some of us who have attended his meetings, we attend merely to go and hear his pathetic lies. He has no sense of honesty. If you trace back his life and career he had lied more than Chuene did. I can’t wait for the day he (Ray) will be exposed to the world including the IAAF. He had messed up the sport and the cricket society must open their eyes. Oh, unless they are corrupt like him! Rage, Ethel Manyaka had to be suspended because the very same lying idiot called Ray Mali had promised people jobs – actually to take up PR and Communication duties of ASA hence they (EXP) continue to do Ethel’s work. Actually, I like her guts and courage. She gets paid for doing nothing. She must fight on. Only God knows how much Ray Mali pays Paul Martin or how much goes into EXP account. I can’t wait for the day this matter is settled in court. I think media personnel are waiting in anticipation. ASA/EXP/Yellow Pages are in for a high jump, I can assure you now. Manyaka knows her story and I am told she is the smartest girl ever. And that she is surrounded by the right crowd, including family and associates. I advise Ray Mali and his friends including the dumbest Paul to check who reviews Manyaka’s books. She is quite intelligent, no wonder she is a published author. And I am told she is doing her masters in biomedicine? Personally, I encourage her to stay and continue collecting her check. Her opponents and people who are trying to take her job and victimize her will soon be exposed. I can assure you media people are waiting in anticipation. Manyaka had built and still has an outstanding reputation in the media. I know she will fight until the end.

4. Athletic Fan

November 26, 2010 at 2:41 pm

We are living in interesting times indeed. This is very interesting. I wonder why Sascoc publish ASA stories on their websites. Thinking of characters who are running the sport including Sascoc management one can only laugh!

5. Mark Etheridge

November 26, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Hi there, Mark Etheridge here, Managing Editor. We like to think that by publishing as many comments as possible it’s a means of expressing opinions etc and a forum where people can give their points of view from both sides of the fence as we don’t live in a perfect world.

6. Harold

December 4, 2010 at 4:35 am

You focus on this issue, not once was Stephen Mokoa’s brilliant world class marathon performance mentioned. The boy ran a blistering 2:08:33 marathon.

Where is his article?

7. Mark Etheridge

December 4, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Dear Harold… had you taken the time to look further back in the athletics section you may well have seen a story by myself on November 11, reporting on Stephen’s great marathon and also quoting him on his feat. See for yourself

Kind regards

Mark Etheridge
    Managing Editor, Road to London 2012

8. Harold

December 5, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Dear Mark

My apologies for not going further back.
    Dont ever think it would be an attack on you, as you always make extremely meaningful contributions to sport.

Regards