- Terblanche takes over captain’s armband in Spain
- Banyana Banyana aces light up future stars’ faces
- A runaway read of sport and life in the old SA
- Wöstmann can run her way into SA running history on Sunday
- Nel knocks final hurdle but takes positives away from Ostrava
- Olympians Hudson and Jim return to scene of 2014 triumph
- Legote cock-a-hoop after more rhythmic success
- World-leader Nel faces biggest hurdle of the season in Ostrava
- SA wrap up World Cup campaign with a second place for Hartley
- Simbine takes second spot in Hengelo 100m dash
The International Olympic Committee created the Olympic Day as an event to commemorate the establishment of the Olympics and also to educate the sport loving people and the society about Olympism. The Olympic Day is a festive event bringing together people of all age and from every background.
The activities must be linked to Olympism and its promotion. The Presidents message is also read during this event (this element is forwarded to SASCOC by the IOC) SASCOC celebrates this event on the 1st Saturday of every September annually. The event is run in partnership with McDonalds who is the worldwide official partner of the IOC and other local stakeholders as identified by SASCOC.
SASCOC in partnership with Murray and Roberts andSowetannewspaper, manage, coordinate and facilitate the winners of this event in line with the set criteria.
The Jack Cheetham Memorial Award was initiated by Murray and Roberts 26 years ago in recognition of the special qualities of Jack Cheetham, a former director of Murray and Roberts and the inspirational captain of the South African Cricket Team in the 1950s who was able to instill in young people the belief that they could win. In recent years, the award has targeted sports development projects, focusing on individuals or teams that have the potential to be champions. The award, which includes a floating trophy and prize money, is presented to respective winners on a five year basis.
SA Sports Awards
SASCOC, Sport & Recreation South Africa and SABC Sport have embarked on the creation of the SA Sports Awards brand, in a bid to reward SAs sports stars for their efforts in keeping the passion of sport alive in the hearts of millions of South Africans; through their efforts in local and international sports events.
NOCs IFs, Continental Associations are invited to submit nominations for these awards whereby the final selection of the winners is determined by the Women and Sport Commission.