- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Olympian Moolman-Pasio takes 18th in TT
- Updated: October 12, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
Two-time Olympian Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio was South Africa’s top finisher in the women’s Elite Individual Time Trial at the UCI Road World Championships in Doha, Qatar on Tuesday.
The Europe-based ace raced her way to 18th spot in the 28.9-kilometre dash through the desert.
Her ride saw her ending 2min 45.92sec down on American Amber Neben, at 41 a veteran of women’s world cycling and the oldest rider in the 41-strong field.
Neben clocked 36min 37.04 to take gold, 5.99 seconds ahead of pre-race favourite Ellen van Dijk of the Netherlands.
The only other South African in the field was Samantha Sanders who placed 32nd which was 5:55.31 in arrears.
Wednesday sees the elite men’s individual time trial being raced over 40km.
Picture of Moolman-Pasio in action courtesy of Tim de Waele/TDWSport.com