- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
Medals for SA cyclists at Road World Championships
- Updated: October 10, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
South African cyclists have picked up two medals as the UCI Road World Championships got underway in Doha, Qatar at the weekend.
Riding in the elite team time trial, Olympians Daryl Impey and Ashleigh Pasio were both part of bronze medal-winning outfits.
The team trials see riders racing for their World Tour teams, in Impey’s case, the Australian based ORICA-BikeExchange, while Moolman was in the saddle for German-based squad Cervelo Bigla Pro Team.
Impey and Co clocked 43min 09.51sec for the 40km desert trial, raced with a blast furnace-like tail wind.
They averaged 55.609 kilometres per hour and were 37.12seconds behind winners Ettxx-Quick Step of Belgium. BMC Racing Team (US) were second, 11.69sec adrift.
Said Impey afterwards: ‘Amazing experience with the @ORICA_BE boys in the Worlds Team Time Trial , Bronze Medal for us and proud moment!’
As for Pasio, who took second spot at the GiroEmilia race in Italy, she hooked up with riders from Germany (three), Canada and Finland and clocked a time of 50:38.09, good for third place, 1:56 behind the Boels Dolmans team (Netherlands). Second were Canyon Sram Racing, also from Germany.
‘Bronze medal in our first TTT World Champs! Awesome way to finish off a great season with Cervelo Bigla! Thanks to our amazing sponsors, staff and fans! Team work makes the dream work,’ said Pasio on social media after her medal.
Picture of the Cervelo Bigla Pro team courtesy of Getty Images