- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
Medals for SA cyclists at Road World Championships
- Updated: October 10, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
South African cyclists have picked up two medals as the UCI Road World Championships got underway in Doha, Qatar at the weekend.
Riding in the elite team time trial, Olympians Daryl Impey and Ashleigh Pasio were both part of bronze medal-winning outfits.
The team trials see riders racing for their World Tour teams, in Impey’s case, the Australian based ORICA-BikeExchange, while Moolman was in the saddle for German-based squad Cervelo Bigla Pro Team.
Impey and Co clocked 43min 09.51sec for the 40km desert trial, raced with a blast furnace-like tail wind.
They averaged 55.609 kilometres per hour and were 37.12seconds behind winners Ettxx-Quick Step of Belgium. BMC Racing Team (US) were second, 11.69sec adrift.
Said Impey afterwards: ‘Amazing experience with the @ORICA_BE boys in the Worlds Team Time Trial , Bronze Medal for us and proud moment!’
As for Pasio, who took second spot at the GiroEmilia race in Italy, she hooked up with riders from Germany (three), Canada and Finland and clocked a time of 50:38.09, good for third place, 1:56 behind the Boels Dolmans team (Netherlands). Second were Canyon Sram Racing, also from Germany.
‘Bronze medal in our first TTT World Champs! Awesome way to finish off a great season with Cervelo Bigla! Thanks to our amazing sponsors, staff and fans! Team work makes the dream work,’ said Pasio on social media after her medal.
Picture of the Cervelo Bigla Pro team courtesy of Getty Images