- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
Medals for SA cyclists at Road World Championships
- Updated: October 10, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
South African cyclists have picked up two medals as the UCI Road World Championships got underway in Doha, Qatar at the weekend.
Riding in the elite team time trial, Olympians Daryl Impey and Ashleigh Pasio were both part of bronze medal-winning outfits.
The team trials see riders racing for their World Tour teams, in Impey’s case, the Australian based ORICA-BikeExchange, while Moolman was in the saddle for German-based squad Cervelo Bigla Pro Team.
Impey and Co clocked 43min 09.51sec for the 40km desert trial, raced with a blast furnace-like tail wind.
They averaged 55.609 kilometres per hour and were 37.12seconds behind winners Ettxx-Quick Step of Belgium. BMC Racing Team (US) were second, 11.69sec adrift.
Said Impey afterwards: ‘Amazing experience with the @ORICA_BE boys in the Worlds Team Time Trial , Bronze Medal for us and proud moment!’
As for Pasio, who took second spot at the GiroEmilia race in Italy, she hooked up with riders from Germany (three), Canada and Finland and clocked a time of 50:38.09, good for third place, 1:56 behind the Boels Dolmans team (Netherlands). Second were Canyon Sram Racing, also from Germany.
‘Bronze medal in our first TTT World Champs! Awesome way to finish off a great season with Cervelo Bigla! Thanks to our amazing sponsors, staff and fans! Team work makes the dream work,’ said Pasio on social media after her medal.
Picture of the Cervelo Bigla Pro team courtesy of Getty Images