- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
- Muizenberg hosts SA’s first Adapative Championships
- SA duo seal silver medals at African Championships
- Harris on the rise after two Futures wins
Medals for SA cyclists at Road World Championships
- Updated: October 10, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
South African cyclists have picked up two medals as the UCI Road World Championships got underway in Doha, Qatar at the weekend.
Riding in the elite team time trial, Olympians Daryl Impey and Ashleigh Pasio were both part of bronze medal-winning outfits.
The team trials see riders racing for their World Tour teams, in Impey’s case, the Australian based ORICA-BikeExchange, while Moolman was in the saddle for German-based squad Cervelo Bigla Pro Team.
Impey and Co clocked 43min 09.51sec for the 40km desert trial, raced with a blast furnace-like tail wind.
They averaged 55.609 kilometres per hour and were 37.12seconds behind winners Ettxx-Quick Step of Belgium. BMC Racing Team (US) were second, 11.69sec adrift.
Said Impey afterwards: ‘Amazing experience with the @ORICA_BE boys in the Worlds Team Time Trial , Bronze Medal for us and proud moment!’
As for Pasio, who took second spot at the GiroEmilia race in Italy, she hooked up with riders from Germany (three), Canada and Finland and clocked a time of 50:38.09, good for third place, 1:56 behind the Boels Dolmans team (Netherlands). Second were Canyon Sram Racing, also from Germany.
‘Bronze medal in our first TTT World Champs! Awesome way to finish off a great season with Cervelo Bigla! Thanks to our amazing sponsors, staff and fans! Team work makes the dream work,’ said Pasio on social media after her medal.
Picture of the Cervelo Bigla Pro team courtesy of Getty Images