- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
Estonia are SA’s first round opponents in 2017 Davis Cup
- Updated: September 29, 2016
South Africa will face Estonia at home in round one of the 2017 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Europe/Africa Zone Group II competition.
The draw was made at the London offices of the ITF.
South Africa have been seeded eighth in the Euro/Africa Zone Group II while Estonia are unseeded. South Africa are currently ranked 58th on the Davis Cup world rankings which is 22 spots ahead of Estonia.
The winner of the tie will play the winner of the Monaco vs Slovenia tie in April 2017 while the losers will play in the Euro/Africa Zone Group II Play-offs against the loser of the Monaco vs Slovenia tie also in April 2017.
The seeds for the draw were based on the new ITF Davis Cup Nations Ranking of 19 September.
The tie will be played from 3-5 February 2017 at a venue still to be confirmed by Tennis South Africa.
South Africa retained their Europe/Africa Zone Group II status for 2017 by romping past Luxembourg 5-0 at home in Centurion, Pretoria at the Irene Country Club to fend off relegation.
As for Estonia, they were promoted to Group II after winning their Group III competition at home in 2016.
2017 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Europe/Africa Zone Group II
First round (3-5 February)
(Home nation listed first)
Loser of Israel v Sweden [s] v Tunisia
Cyprus [c] [*] v Turkey [s]
Madagascar [c] [*] v Lithuania [s]
Georgia [c] [*] v Finland [s]
Latvia [s] [c] [*] v Norway
Denmark [s] [c] v Morocco
South Africa [s] [c] [*] v Estonia
Slovenia [s] [c] Monaco
Guide to abbreviations:
[s] = seeded nation
[c] = choice of ground
[*] = choice of ground decided by lot
[^] = choice of ground reversed by Davis Cup Committee