- National Orders honour for rowing’s ‘Oarsome Foursome’
- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
Bregman fires final round 70 to end 31st in Spain
- Updated: September 27, 2016
South Africa’s Stacy Bregman ended 31st at the Andalucía Costa del Sol Open in Marbella this weekend.
That as local hero Azahara Munoz held her nerve over the closing holes to become the first Spanish champion just a month after her Olympic debut in Rio.
The Spaniard posted a closing two-under-par 70 to edge out American Beth Allen by a lone stroke.
Bregman carded rounds of 74, 74 and 75, but a closing 70 at the magnificent Aloha Golf Club in Marbellato lifted the four-time Sunshine Ladies Tour winner to tie for 31st on five over 293.
Compatriot Nicole Garcia signed off with an 80 to finish in joint 62nd on 17 over after earlier rounds of 73, 74 and 77. Ashleigh Simon and defending champion Connie Chen both missed the cut.
The Spanish Open victory was the fourth for Munoz on the European Ladies Tour, but it was undoubtedly the most emotional.
‘This is simply amazing,’ said the 28-year-old, who lives nearby in San Pedro Alcantara. ‘A victory is always a victory, but winning at home is incredible. You know, having everyone here, my family, my friends; this means everything.”
Runner-up Allen teed-up on Sunday as the 54-hole leader, and she reached the turn in just 33 strokes to extend her advantage to three, but she allowed first prize to slip from her grasp with a back nine of 39, which included a bogey-five at the final hole that allowed Munoz to cross the finishing line ahead of her.
Picture of Bregman courtesy of Sunshine Ladies Tour