Don't forget add well that we have many 4th and 5 th places. .....ALL our athletes have done us super proud. ...
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
- Sunshine Classic will see the Chase hotting up
- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
Three codes chase Rio glory for Team SA on Saturday
- Updated: September 17, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
Just two days of competition remain for Team South Africa’s medal chase at the Rio Paralympics.
And Saturday will see the team in action in three codes: aquatics, athletics and cycling.
They start the day with 14 medals already locked away in the war chest (six gold, four silver and four bronze) and in 22nd spot on the medals table.
Four years ago, the team brought back 29 medals from London but it must be said that a number of multiple medal winners are no longer part of the equation.
Swimming has Paralympic debutant Alani Ferreira swimming her fifth and final event, the 100m backstroke (S9) and the Pietermaritzburg teenager has lapped up the experience and you can bet your bottom dollar she’s already targeting Tokyo in four years time.
Athletics is an all-finals day with Zanele Situ, the veteran of the team at 45, in search of a second medal – this time in the F55 discus after having won bronze in the javelin.
Ilse Hayes (T13 400m), Dyan Buis (T38 400m), Hilton Langenhoven and Ndodomzi Ntutu (both T12 400m) are also all in search of their second medal of the games while Mpumi Mhlongo (a debutant in Rio) lines up for his second event, the long jump (F44) after having competed in the sprints earlier in the Games.
And in cycling Dane Wilson, more at home on the track, takes on the men’s road race in the C4-5 class.
Picture of Ntutu courtesy of Wessel Oosthuizen/SASPA
Here’s a list of Team SA in action on Saturday:
3.43pm Alani Ferreira – 100m Backstroke S13
00.05am Ferreira – 100m Backstroke S13
3.10pm Zanele Situ – Discus F55
3.44pm Ilse Hayes – 400m T13
10.59pm Dyan Buis – 400m T38
11.30pm Mpumulelo Mhlongo Long Jump F44
11.55pm Hilton Langenhoven/Ndodomzi Ntutu 200m T12
2.30pm Dane Wilson – Men’s road race C4-5