- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after excited mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
Motivating words for Team SA at the Rio Olympics
- Updated: August 3, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
Team South Africa’s wait is over as the national women’s football side get the country’s 2016 Olympics campaign underway in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Captain Janine van Wyk’s side play Sweden at the Olympic Stadium at 1pm, (6pm SA time).
To boost Team SA’s team members, players and management alike, SASCOC sports consultant Dr Frank Dick sent a message of motivation ahead of their various events, starting from Wednesday.
The opening ceremony is on Friday night and the Games run through to 21 August.
The harder and smarter you work each moment in life prepares you well for the one that follows. Each, then, becomes a step in building from who you are to who you are capable of becoming.
You know you have worked incredibly hard and been incredibly smart through all the moments that brought you to this one. You knew the cost and have been prepared to pay the price to be a South African Olympian. You have made each and every one of them matter; seen each as holding the opportunity to be a winning difference and made it so.
Your moment in Rio is really no different than those which have preceded it. Already you have shown that your performance is what defines excellence in training and in competition. Think of how often you have done that. Now all that is needed is to do so again – but even better.
Because your performance in any arena is directly proportional to the challenge overcome in achieving it, Rio surely represents the perfect arena for you to deliver the performance of a lifetime.
So just four things to remember:
You have earned the right to be an Olympian.
You do not need permission to be excellent out there
Believe in yourself
Because this is your moment.