- Klaasen bags a fourth ATP World Tour doubles title in the US
- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
Motivating words for Team SA at the Rio Olympics
- Updated: August 3, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
Team South Africa’s wait is over as the national women’s football side get the country’s 2016 Olympics campaign underway in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Captain Janine van Wyk’s side play Sweden at the Olympic Stadium at 1pm, (6pm SA time).
To boost Team SA’s team members, players and management alike, SASCOC sports consultant Dr Frank Dick sent a message of motivation ahead of their various events, starting from Wednesday.
The opening ceremony is on Friday night and the Games run through to 21 August.
The harder and smarter you work each moment in life prepares you well for the one that follows. Each, then, becomes a step in building from who you are to who you are capable of becoming.
You know you have worked incredibly hard and been incredibly smart through all the moments that brought you to this one. You knew the cost and have been prepared to pay the price to be a South African Olympian. You have made each and every one of them matter; seen each as holding the opportunity to be a winning difference and made it so.
Your moment in Rio is really no different than those which have preceded it. Already you have shown that your performance is what defines excellence in training and in competition. Think of how often you have done that. Now all that is needed is to do so again – but even better.
Because your performance in any arena is directly proportional to the challenge overcome in achieving it, Rio surely represents the perfect arena for you to deliver the performance of a lifetime.
So just four things to remember:
You have earned the right to be an Olympian.
You do not need permission to be excellent out there
Believe in yourself
Because this is your moment.