- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
Chiefs duo boosts Olympic men’s side up to full strength
- Updated: August 2, 2016
The South African Olympic men’s team now have a full complement of players following the arrival of the Kaizer Chiefs duo of Itumeleng Khune and Eric Mathoho.
The pair joined their compatriots in Brasilia on Sunday night after helping their club win the pre-season derby clash against Orlando Pirates in the 2016 Carling Black Label Champions Cup on Saturday.
Both come into the squad as over-aged players for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
‘It’s good to be back in the squad again after spending some time with them back home and had to remain behind due to club commitments.
‘Now the focus is fully on the task ahead. As I have been saying all along I am really honoured to part of this team. I hope my presence influences the team positively, on or off the field, whether I play or not,’ said goalkeeer Khune.
‘I’m also hopeful that the experience we bring with Tower (Mathoho) will assist the team greatly and help guide us to the next round and beyond. We have a very strong team and I believe together we can achieve great things.’
Mathoho echoed Khune’s words. ‘Many players have a glittering career but never get to taste the Olympics, so being part of this team is something I will cherish for as long as I live. While Khune and I bring some experience, I believe we will also learn a lot from this group, which will help us grow as players.
‘This is the biggest sporting spectacle in the world and I also want to write my name in the history books, so I will help contribute towards the success of the team in any way I can,’ said defender Mathoho.
Picture courtesy of Backpagepix