- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
Team SA settles in well in the Olympic Games Athletes village
- Updated: July 25, 2016
Contrary to various media reports that the village is ‘unliveable’, Team South Africa’s apartment block is excellent accommodation with large en suite apartments, with air conditioning, reliable wifi in every room, reception areas, balconies, swimming pool, kitchen sinks, mosquito pads, fans etc.
With the opening ceremony still 11 days away and the village almost complete, the standards already look like being on a par with most Olympic Athletes’ Villages to date.
SASCOC CEO and Team SA Chef De Mission Tubby Reddy commented, “Our team has settled in well and the block that we chose is ready. We have been lucky and hope all goes well throughout the rest of the games.”
Our football teams men and women are in Brazil with the men in Brazilia and the women here in Rio in an apartment reserved for football. The conditions in these apartments are also very good with all amenities in good working order.
We await the arrival of the balance of our athletes and officials of Team South Africa.
Issued on 25 July 2016