- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
SA trio end 21st at World Championships
- Updated: June 22, 2016
South African aerobic gymnastics team ended 21st at the 2016 Aerobic Gymnastics World Championships in Incheon, Korea at the weekend.
Wilson Mafona, Dominique Mann and Happy Ledwaba competed in the Trio competition, with Mafona additionally competing in the Individual Male Category.
The Trio competition saw the gymnasts perform an Africa inspired themed routine, resulting in an international personal best score of 18.905.
This result has secured the trio a continental place to compete at the 2017 World Games in Wroclaw.
An Aerobic Programme Management statement said: ‘It was in our four-year plans to have our Trio qualify for the World Games in 2017. Africa was well represented at the World Championships, with Algeria, Congo, Tunisia and South Africa competing. We are thrilled to have placed highest from Africa at the World Championships. We believed in their ability to succeed, and they did not disappoint.’
This result is the cherry on the top for the trio, who have stepped up in 2016, having won gold at the Africa Championships in Algeria earlier in the year, and following this up with a bronze medal at the Bulgaria Open.
In the Individual Category, Mafona secured 30th place with a score of 19.450. He too finished ahead of fellow participants from the African continent.
The trio, from the North West Province, were accompanied by coach by Alta Lategan. Also in attendance at the Championships was official Stella Stewart, who officiated as a line judge for both the Group and Step finals.