- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
African cycling aces name preliminary 13-strong squad for Tour de France
- Updated: June 21, 2016
African cycling giants Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka have named their initial 13-rider list to do duty at next month’s Tour de France.
Last year the South African based outfit were the first side from the African continent to compete at the world’s most prestigious cycling event.
And they made an immediate impact with Eritrea\s Daniel Teklehaimanot wearing the Polka Dot jersey for many a day, and ending fifth in the overall team classification.
The team will be made up of six Africans with the remaining seven names all seasoned internationals.
Said team owner Douglas Ryder: ‘We have an incredible squad of riders with lofty goals and big dreams like a year ago. We have new partners and a new look but the same purpose.
‘It is a privilege to be a part of the Tour de France and to be able to leverage the global power of the event to make an impact that matters across the African continent by mobilising people on bicycles through the Qhubeka #BicyclesChangeLives campaign. This year there is an opportunity for you to join us to achieve the Qhubeka5000.
The 13-name squad is: Natnael Berhane, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Mark Cavendish, Steve Cummings, Bernhard Eisel,Tyler Farrar, Jacques Janse van Rensburg, Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, Serge Pauwels,Youcef Reguigui, Mark Renshaw, Daniel Teklehaimanot, Jaco Venter