- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
Star trio set to shine for SA at World Championships in Korea
- Updated: June 15, 2016
Three senior gymnasts will fly the South African flag at the 2016 Aerobic Gymnastics World Championships in Incheon, Korea this weekend.
Dominique Mann, Wilson Mafona and Happy Ledwaba, all from the North West Province, will be in action
The three recently participated at the 2016 Aerobic National Championships, held in Brits two weeks ago, where Dominique secured her 10th SA Individual Women Aerobic Gymnastics title, and Wilson his sixth Individual Men’s national title on the trot.
The two will pair up in Incheon, competing in the Mixed Pair Competition, and together with Ledwaba, will compete in the Trio Competition. Wilson will also compete in the Individual Men Competition at the World Championships.
Said Mafona: ‘I’m looking forward to doing the best out of the African countries and am looking forward to showcasing my sharp clean routine with limited deductions, and improve on my ranking from the last World Champs.’
The World Champs doubles up as 2017 World Games qualification event. The Aerobic Gymnasts will be aiming to secure qualification in the Mixed Pair and/or Trio Categories. The trio have been working well together and will be looking to keep up this positive momentum sustained of recent, with them securing gold at the Africa Championships in March 2016, as well as winning their first World Cup medal, taking home bronze in Borovets in April 2016.
Officials Alta Lategan and Stella Stewart are also in attendance as coach and judge at the World Championships. Said SAGF CEO, Mr Tseko Mogotsi: ‘We are proud of the Aerobic Trio and wish Team SA well at these Championships.’