- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
Telkom partners with SASCOC to sponsor RIO athletes
- Updated: June 2, 2016
Telkom have confirmed their association with SASCOC today in a deal that will see them provide sponsorship for TeamSA to the Rio Olympics 2016.
SASCOC and Telkom will be putting in a funding program for the athlete medalists from Rio (able bodied and para sports), which has been announced today.
The funding pool for the “Partners for Gold” Medal Incentive Program will be made available to:
- Winning medalists (Gold, Silver and Bronze) from both the Olympic and Paralympic Teams participating at Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
- Winning medalists and Coaches will receive a share (according to a formula mutually agreed between SASCOC and Telkom, as to the level of distributions) from the final total funding pool.
President of SASCOC, Gideon Sam, said: “As we see positive selections come on stream leading into Rio 2016 Olympic Games and Rio 2016 Paralympic Games, it’s positive to also see brands like Telkom commit to the Olympic Team and Paralympic Teams for Rio.”
“We expect to be taking up to 230 athletes and officials to Rio and to send the Team requires such positive support of brands like Telkom”, noted Mr Sam.
Mr Sam added: “On the eve of our departure to the Rio Olympics, SASCOC could not have asked for better news. With this sponsorship, Telkom has shown confidence in TeamSA and will be embarking on a journey that will culminate at the Rio Olympics later this year.”
“Telkom is honoured to be able to partner with our national Olympics team as they test themselves in the world’s most demanding sporting competition. Their dedication to the Olympic motto of faster, higher, stronger, resonates with all of us as we strive to always be better than we were,” said Sipho Maseko, Telkom Group Chief Executive Officer.
“We are pleased that a South African company, with a history of service excellence and innovation that operates across Africa, has decided to reinvest in our sports men and women thereby ensuring that they perform at the highest level. This positive support will strengthen Telkom’s relationship with not only the athletes but also with SASCOC so that we together can invest in our future to produce world-class athletes”, said SASCOC Chief Executive, Tubby Reddy
Mr Reddy added: “SASCOC is delighted that Telkom are on board for Rio and welcome an organization with such a strong corporate foundation and enthusiastic commitment to our country and the Team. We are confident that this current partnership will grow and lead to a long-term relationship that will bring benefits to all parties”, he said.
“We would like to thank Telkom for their very timely sponsorship and we are confident that this will open the door for corporate South African to partner with us to develop South African sport”, he said
Reddy noted that “Telkom has had a proud history of being a Partner of various Olympic and Paralympic Teams over a long period of time in South Africa dating back to 1996 so it’s great to have a familiar friend of the Olympic and Paralympic family in our team of supporters again in such a positive way”.