- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
Johnson and Lord Louis ride to two first places in Europe
- Updated: May 24, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
Ace dressage rider Philippa Johnson and her equestrian partner Lord Louis continued to show ever-improving form ahead of this year’s Rio Paralympics.
The equestrian combination were competing at the CPED13* Roosendaal competition in the Netherlands.
And they ended the weekend’s riding with two first and a third-placed finish.
Johnson told Road to Rio 2016: ‘It was a great weekend for South Africa. On Friday in the Team Test Louis was a little behind my leg but still did a good test, Unfortunately I had one judge that didn’t agree which pulled my score down but we still finished third out of a class 21 horses with a score of 69.17%.
‘Then on Saturday for the Individual Championships, Louis felt amazing (we tried a slightly shorter warm-up) and was with me through the whole test which, thank goodness, the judges also saw and rewarded him with the points (with one of the judges giving us a 74.39%!) We won the Championships with a score of 72.64%’
After the first two days of good weather, the heaven’s opened on Sunday’s final day of competition.
But neither horse nor rider was concerned. ‘Louis again gave me a super ride, winning the Freestyle with 75.75%! So not only a good weekend for us but another good one for SA sport.’