- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Johnson and Lord Louis ride to two first places in Europe
- Updated: May 24, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
Ace dressage rider Philippa Johnson and her equestrian partner Lord Louis continued to show ever-improving form ahead of this year’s Rio Paralympics.
The equestrian combination were competing at the CPED13* Roosendaal competition in the Netherlands.
And they ended the weekend’s riding with two first and a third-placed finish.
Johnson told Road to Rio 2016: ‘It was a great weekend for South Africa. On Friday in the Team Test Louis was a little behind my leg but still did a good test, Unfortunately I had one judge that didn’t agree which pulled my score down but we still finished third out of a class 21 horses with a score of 69.17%.
‘Then on Saturday for the Individual Championships, Louis felt amazing (we tried a slightly shorter warm-up) and was with me through the whole test which, thank goodness, the judges also saw and rewarded him with the points (with one of the judges giving us a 74.39%!) We won the Championships with a score of 72.64%’
After the first two days of good weather, the heaven’s opened on Sunday’s final day of competition.
But neither horse nor rider was concerned. ‘Louis again gave me a super ride, winning the Freestyle with 75.75%! So not only a good weekend for us but another good one for SA sport.’