- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
SA men pipped by Malta in EU Nations Cup final
- Updated: May 16, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
So close yet so far, that was the story of the national men’s water polo side’s EU Nations Cup experience which came to an end in Valetta, Malta on Sunday.
After winning all their pool games against Wales, Austria, Lithuania and Ireland, the South Africans met host nation in the tournament final.
The two finalists were undoubtedly the tournament’s two best sides and when the water had settled, South Africa had ended on the wrong side of a 14-13 scoreline.
Sunday’s final saw South Africa getting off to a flying start and leading 3-0.
But to their credit, Malta, who played in this year’s European Championships, fought back well and the game stayed extremely tight, not to mention frenetic.
The match saw the South Africans learning many lessons from the passionate Maltese side
Defeat means South Africa were unable to defend the title which they won in Odense, Denmark last year.