- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
SA off to winning start at Nations Cup in Malta
- Updated: May 13, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
South Africa got the defence of their EU Nations Cup water polo title off to a winning start in Malta on Thursday.
Captain Pierre le Roux’s men beat Wales 24-4 in their opening Pool A match.
The South Africans started their fixture with a solid defensive effort but the encouraging thing was that there’s plenty of room for improvement.
They next take on Austria on Friday afternoon and then face Ireland on Saturday.
Should they win their pool they’ll take on the winners of Pool B in Sunday’s final.
‘It was a very good team effort,’ said Le Roux. ‘We could have scored a lot more goals but that’s normal for the first game of the tournament.’