- Honoured Prinsloo looks to make even bigger strides
- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
Van Rensburg readies himself for Diamond League debut
- Updated: May 3, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
World Student Games 800-metre bronze medallist Rynardt van Rensburg is gearing up for his Diamond League debut later this month.
And the Free Stater has certainly been putting in the hard yards as part that preparation.
Late last month he took part in a low-key international event in St Denis on the small Indian Ocean island of Reunion and then at the weekend took part in no fewer than three races at the SA Student Championships in Limpopo.
‘In Reunion it was an easy, relaxed race with no real competition,’ he told Road to Rio 2016. ‘I ran a 55-second first lap and ended with a 1:48 so that’s a good sign.
‘Training has picked up this last few weeks and I’ve just got confirmation for Shanghai Diamond League on 14 May. It’s my first one so huge for me and very excited. And the Hengelo World Challenge on 22 May is also confirmed and am looking to run Olympic qualifiers (sub 1:46) in both.’
Van Rensburg’s best remains the 1:45.40 in ran in Slovenia in July last year.
In Limpopo Van Rensburg saw action in one race on Friday and two the following day. ‘I came fourth in the 1500 (3:51), then 1:50 in the 800 and then I also ran the 4x400m relay.
‘Training has really been very hard in the last few weeks… all geared towards that first Diamond League.’
Picture of Van Rensburg in action on Saturday courtesy of Trevlyn Palframan