- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Double Borovets Cup bronze success for SA
- Updated: April 26, 2016
South African gymnasts have brought two bronze medals back from the Borovets Cup Aerobics Open 2016 held in Bulgaria last week.
The senior aerobic trio of Wilson Mafona, Dominique Mann and Happy Ledwaba scored 17,477 in their Trio Senior Final, securing their first World Cup bronze medal as a trio.
The trio are on the rise, having secured Africa Games gold in September last year, followed by Africa Championships gold in March this year.
Now the trio are set to compete at the 2016 Aerobic World Championships in Korea in June, where they will not only be looking to improve on their World Ranking, but also look to qualify for the 2017 World Games in Wroclaw, Poland.
The other bronze medal in Borovets was won by junior gymnasts Jeanette McLaren and James Louw, (picture above) who scored 14.900 in their Mixed Pair Final, 15-17 age group.
With this competition being the juniors’ first international competition, they performed very well. James Louw also participated in the Individual Male 15-17 age group competition, placing fourth with a score of 15.800.
Additional senior results saw Mafona attain sixth place in the Individual Male Senior competition with a great score of 19.250. Demi Botha took 12th place in the Individual Female Senior competition with a score of 18.50, her highest international score to date.
Both Mafona and Botha will compete in the Individual Categories at the upcoming 2016 World Championships.
The Mixed Pair of Mafona and Mann secured fifth position in the Senior Mixed Pair Final, scoring 17.850. They too will feature in this category at the upcoming World Championships.