- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
Double Borovets Cup bronze success for SA
- Updated: April 26, 2016
South African gymnasts have brought two bronze medals back from the Borovets Cup Aerobics Open 2016 held in Bulgaria last week.
The senior aerobic trio of Wilson Mafona, Dominique Mann and Happy Ledwaba scored 17,477 in their Trio Senior Final, securing their first World Cup bronze medal as a trio.
The trio are on the rise, having secured Africa Games gold in September last year, followed by Africa Championships gold in March this year.
Now the trio are set to compete at the 2016 Aerobic World Championships in Korea in June, where they will not only be looking to improve on their World Ranking, but also look to qualify for the 2017 World Games in Wroclaw, Poland.
The other bronze medal in Borovets was won by junior gymnasts Jeanette McLaren and James Louw, (picture above) who scored 14.900 in their Mixed Pair Final, 15-17 age group.
With this competition being the juniors’ first international competition, they performed very well. James Louw also participated in the Individual Male 15-17 age group competition, placing fourth with a score of 15.800.
Additional senior results saw Mafona attain sixth place in the Individual Male Senior competition with a great score of 19.250. Demi Botha took 12th place in the Individual Female Senior competition with a score of 18.50, her highest international score to date.
Both Mafona and Botha will compete in the Individual Categories at the upcoming 2016 World Championships.
The Mixed Pair of Mafona and Mann secured fifth position in the Senior Mixed Pair Final, scoring 17.850. They too will feature in this category at the upcoming World Championships.