- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Oosthuizen opts out of Rio Olympics
- Updated: April 21, 2016
Louis Oosthuizen announced on Thursday that he will not take part in this year’s Rio Olympics, citing ‘family and schedule’ issues as his reasons.
The world number 14 follows Vijay Singh and Adam Scott as the third top player to withdraw from the Games and leaves countrymen Branden Grace and Charl Schwartzel as the two likely South African candidates, reports www.compleatgolfer.com.
‘I have always represented SA with pride so didn’t make my decision without a great deal of thought,’ said Oosthuizen in a statement from his management company ISM.
‘I would like to wish our golfers and all other athletes competing in Brazil all the very best for success.’
Golf was added this year for the first time since 1904, but the sport’s inclusion has been marred by the withdrawal of marquee names, including two of the world’s top 15.