- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
Oosthuizen opts out of Rio Olympics
- Updated: April 21, 2016
Louis Oosthuizen announced on Thursday that he will not take part in this year’s Rio Olympics, citing ‘family and schedule’ issues as his reasons.
The world number 14 follows Vijay Singh and Adam Scott as the third top player to withdraw from the Games and leaves countrymen Branden Grace and Charl Schwartzel as the two likely South African candidates, reports www.compleatgolfer.com.
‘I have always represented SA with pride so didn’t make my decision without a great deal of thought,’ said Oosthuizen in a statement from his management company ISM.
‘I would like to wish our golfers and all other athletes competing in Brazil all the very best for success.’
Golf was added this year for the first time since 1904, but the sport’s inclusion has been marred by the withdrawal of marquee names, including two of the world’s top 15.