- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
Oosthuizen opts out of Rio Olympics
- Updated: April 21, 2016
Louis Oosthuizen announced on Thursday that he will not take part in this year’s Rio Olympics, citing ‘family and schedule’ issues as his reasons.
The world number 14 follows Vijay Singh and Adam Scott as the third top player to withdraw from the Games and leaves countrymen Branden Grace and Charl Schwartzel as the two likely South African candidates, reports www.compleatgolfer.com.
‘I have always represented SA with pride so didn’t make my decision without a great deal of thought,’ said Oosthuizen in a statement from his management company ISM.
‘I would like to wish our golfers and all other athletes competing in Brazil all the very best for success.’
Golf was added this year for the first time since 1904, but the sport’s inclusion has been marred by the withdrawal of marquee names, including two of the world’s top 15.