- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Blitzboks win twice… after Russian scare!
- Updated: April 16, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
The Blitzboks sevens rugby side have safely negotiated the first two matches of the Singapore leg of the World Rugby Sevens series on Saturday morning.
Neil Powell’s side opened their campaign easily enough with a 33-0 whitewash of Scotland after leading 14-0 at the halfway mark.
And once again it was speedster Seabelo Senatla who dominated, with two of the five SA tries. The others went to Cecil Africa, Kwagga Smith and Tim Agaba.
On to their second match against Russia and there were some early jitters for the South Africans as Vladislav Sozonov opened the scoring and it stayed that way until the break.
It got worse as Sozonov crossed for a second try to see the Blitzboks 0-10 in arrears.
But they held their nerve and Justin Geduld scored and converted to bring them back to within three points. And it was the ever-ready Kwagga Smith who saw the favourites wrap things up with two tries later on to make it 21-10 to the South Africans.
The Blitzboks’ final Pool match will be against fellow Africans Kenya just past 11am.