- Klaasen bags a fourth ATP World Tour doubles title in the US
- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
Blitzboks win twice… after Russian scare!
- Updated: April 16, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
The Blitzboks sevens rugby side have safely negotiated the first two matches of the Singapore leg of the World Rugby Sevens series on Saturday morning.
Neil Powell’s side opened their campaign easily enough with a 33-0 whitewash of Scotland after leading 14-0 at the halfway mark.
And once again it was speedster Seabelo Senatla who dominated, with two of the five SA tries. The others went to Cecil Africa, Kwagga Smith and Tim Agaba.
On to their second match against Russia and there were some early jitters for the South Africans as Vladislav Sozonov opened the scoring and it stayed that way until the break.
It got worse as Sozonov crossed for a second try to see the Blitzboks 0-10 in arrears.
But they held their nerve and Justin Geduld scored and converted to bring them back to within three points. And it was the ever-ready Kwagga Smith who saw the favourites wrap things up with two tries later on to make it 21-10 to the South Africans.
The Blitzboks’ final Pool match will be against fellow Africans Kenya just past 11am.