- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Van Rensburg’s return to form looking good
- Updated: March 25, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
World Student Games bronze medallist Rynardt van Rensburg is slowly but surely getting back on track as the Rio Olympics approach at pace.
Van Rensburg ran a qualifying time for the 800-metre in Slovenia last year before going on to medal at World Student Games in South Korea.
But since then injury has meant a long struggle back for the Bloemfontein athlete.
He’s getting there though and Tuesday’s ASA Night Series at Green Point, Cape Town saw him take second spot (1min 48.54sec) in the two-lapper behind Boitumelo Masilo (1:48.51) – a nice early gift for his 24th birthday the next day.
‘It’s been a tough season for me, was out with a knee injury after world champs for 12 weeks… started training in December and then Feb I had an Achilles tendon injury and was out another two weeks.
‘So its been a tough season for me. But I’m injury free now and happy to train again. Ran my first race (1:50.9) at the Varsity Cup last week and now 1:48,54. I have a lot of work to do but very happy with the progression im making.
‘My goal is definitely the Olympic Games so my focus this year will be on May and June in Europe and obviously the Olympics.’
For now though his next goal will the the next Varsity Cup on 7 April ‘and that’s all just training for my next goal, the SA Championships. I’m sure I’ll be in shape in time for the big meetings.’
Picture of Van Rensburg in action at Green Point courtesy of Roger Sedres (ImageSA)