- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
SA women’s sevens side win twice in Las Vegas
- Updated: March 4, 2016
The SA Select Women’s team on Thursday recorded a strong start to the Las Vegas Invitational as they progressed through Thursday’s opening day of the tournament unbeaten with victories against Stars Rugby 2 and Brazil.
The team displayed good skills on attack and produced a solid defensive effort, which earned them a total of 58 points, while they conceded only five points.
SA Select captain Lorinda Brown and her team kicked off the tournament with a superb 46-0 victory against the mixed international team, Stars Rugby 2, to achieve their objective of building momentum and confidence early on.
They supported this with a morale-boosting 12-5 victory against the Brazil Women’s Sevens to progress through the day unbeaten.
Brown’s team will now face the USA Select 7s in their final pool match on Friday.
The Bowl and Cup quarter-finals will begin later in the day, while the Shield, Bowl and Plate sections of the competition will be completed on Saturday. The Cup semi-finals and final, meanwhile, will be contested on Sunday.