- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
- McGuigan also equals course record at Zim Open
- Fisher fires course record 63 to lead by four in Harare
- Cele looking to do a job for Amajita at World Cup
- Simbine sets the pace with sub-10sec 100m victory
- Indigenous Games to be showcased at Arnold Classic Africa
- Olympian BMX ace Dodd in fine form at NAG series
- Banyana’s Mgcoyi picking up valuable skills in Germany
- Quick-starting Hugo holds one-shot lead in Harare
SA women’s sevens side win twice in Las Vegas
- Updated: March 4, 2016
The SA Select Women’s team on Thursday recorded a strong start to the Las Vegas Invitational as they progressed through Thursday’s opening day of the tournament unbeaten with victories against Stars Rugby 2 and Brazil.
The team displayed good skills on attack and produced a solid defensive effort, which earned them a total of 58 points, while they conceded only five points.
SA Select captain Lorinda Brown and her team kicked off the tournament with a superb 46-0 victory against the mixed international team, Stars Rugby 2, to achieve their objective of building momentum and confidence early on.
They supported this with a morale-boosting 12-5 victory against the Brazil Women’s Sevens to progress through the day unbeaten.
Brown’s team will now face the USA Select 7s in their final pool match on Friday.
The Bowl and Cup quarter-finals will begin later in the day, while the Shield, Bowl and Plate sections of the competition will be completed on Saturday. The Cup semi-finals and final, meanwhile, will be contested on Sunday.