Giant killer Vincent takes out SA's No1 and No2... now for Naidoo! | SASCOC - SASCOC
SEARCH
SASCOC

Giant killer Vincent takes out SA’s No1 and No2… now for Naidoo!

rsz_kieran_vincent_2

Zimbabwean Kieran Vincent, the younger brother to American-based professional Scott Vincent, took out South Africa’s second and third-ranked players on day two of the Sanlam SA Amateur Championship at George Golf Club on Wednesday.
In the morning’s second round, Vincent beat SA number three Herman Loubser on the 21st hole.
It was an incredible contest in which Loubser fought back with birdies at 17 and 18 to keep the match alive before eventually losing to Vincent’s birdie on the 21st hole.
Then in the afternoon’s third round, Vincent knocked out SA No2 Tristen Strydom 2&1. Strydom was 2-up at the turn and Vincent responded with five straight birdies to take the match.
‘These are two of the big names in South African amateur golf and I’m very humbled to have beaten them. I didn’t think I’d get this far. I’m very pleased,’ said Vincent,
Kieran will be taking up a golf scholarship at Liberty University this August, with his brother Scott having had great success at Virginia Tech before turning professional.
‘I’ve got big shoes to fill. Scott’s a great golfer, and not many people know about me. I’m just a small-town kid trying to make a living from golf one day,’ said the 18-year-old.
His Thursday morning quarter-final will be against Central Gauteng’s Dylan Naidoo.
Naidoo played his way into the quarters when he beat Central Gauteng’s David Meyers and then George Golf Club’s Nicholas Mitchell, both 2&1. ‘It was a long, mentally draining day,’ said Naidoo. ‘I’m looking forward to playing against Kieran. I’ve known him for a while and he’s a great golfer.’
South African No1 Marco Steyn went through with a 4&3 victory over Gauteng North’s James du Preez.
He will face Central Gauteng’s David McIntyre, who beat Ekurhuleni’s Kyle McClatchie on the 20th hole.
The Scots have their last hopes of retaining this title resting on the shoulders of Craig Ross, while India’s challenge ended with the third-round exit of Yashab Chandra.
Other Round 2 casualties included the Southern Cape’s Jovan Rebula, a finalist last year, and Western Province’s Luca Filippi.


0 comments