- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
SA’s Olympic footballers will know their opponents on 14 April
- Updated: February 25, 2016
South Africa’s 2016 Olympics football teams will know their opponents for Rio de Janeiro on 14 April.
The draw will be made at the iconic Maracana Stadium, the same venue that hosts the men’s and women’s finals on 19/20 August respectively.
In the men’s tournament, the 16 men’s teams will be drawn into four groups and the 12 women’s teams into three groups.
Defending champions are Mexico (men) and United States (women).
Three spots still need to be decided in the women’s competition and one in the men’s.
The other women’s qualifiers are: hosts Brazil, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Germany, France, Canada, USA, New Zealand and Colombia.
Men’s sides to have qualified are hosts Brazil, South Africa, Argentina, Denmark, Germany, Portugal, Sweden, Fiji, Honduras, Mexico, Algeria, Nigeria, Iraq, Japan and South Korea. Colombia and the United States play off to in March to complete the final line-up.
The soccer competition will be decided between 3-20 August.