- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
SA’s Olympic footballers will know their opponents on 14 April
- Updated: February 25, 2016
South Africa’s 2016 Olympics football teams will know their opponents for Rio de Janeiro on 14 April.
The draw will be made at the iconic Maracana Stadium, the same venue that hosts the men’s and women’s finals on 19/20 August respectively.
In the men’s tournament, the 16 men’s teams will be drawn into four groups and the 12 women’s teams into three groups.
Defending champions are Mexico (men) and United States (women).
Three spots still need to be decided in the women’s competition and one in the men’s.
The other women’s qualifiers are: hosts Brazil, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Germany, France, Canada, USA, New Zealand and Colombia.
Men’s sides to have qualified are hosts Brazil, South Africa, Argentina, Denmark, Germany, Portugal, Sweden, Fiji, Honduras, Mexico, Algeria, Nigeria, Iraq, Japan and South Korea. Colombia and the United States play off to in March to complete the final line-up.
The soccer competition will be decided between 3-20 August.