- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
SA men book their place in Thomas Cup finals in China
- Updated: February 21, 2016
By Mark Etheridge
The South African men’s side have beaten hosts Mauritius to book their places in the prestigious Thomas Cup later this year.
After some great results at the Rose Hill tournament last week the team took on Mauritius in the Thomas Cup prelims for a place in the main event.
Although having beaten Mauritius earlier in the event it’s never tough against the host nation who bring drums and bands to the event which makes for a frenetic atmosphere.
‘We won 3-1 and are going to finals in China in May,’ said and excited national coach Chris Dednam.
He told Road to Rio 2016 from Mauritius: ‘I’m very proud of the guys for winning the prelims. We had the mental edge on them but it is never easy.
‘It’s also good that we beat Mauritius again after losing against them at the African Games in Brazzaville, Congo last year.
‘Only one team event counts towards world ranking points so I doubt this will be more than African Games or the Sudirman Cup last year.’
So what’s next for the South Africans as they attempt to be part of Team South Africa at the Rio Olympics later this year.
‘We’re hoping for a European tour to gain the last points to qualify for Olympics before the deadline at the end of April.
A happy Wiaan Viljoen told Road to Rio 2016: ‘Relief and ecstacy are the biggest emotions we’re feeling right now.
‘The boys showed great commitment and fight to pull through against the home team and a big crowd.
We had a youngster [Cameron Coetzer] new in the team who had to play very, very well and show some maturity. The finals for Thomas Cup is in China in May so we will definitely be preparing for that right now.’