- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
South Africa win 12 of 13 titles at ITF Zonals
- Updated: January 17, 2016
South Africa dominated the ITF Southern African Junior Tennis Championships Zonals which ended at the University of Pretoria Sports Grounds on Saturday.
Of the 13 titles up for grabs after the weeklong event, team South Africa won 12. The only title South Africa failed to capture was the Boys U14 doubles which was won by Mauritius, beating South Africa in the final.
The hosts made a clean sweep in the singles winning the boys and girls titles in the U12, 14 and 16 age groups.
The boys singles winners were Phillip Henning (FS) U16, Carl Roothman (Bol) U14 and Devon Badenhorst (GN) U12. The girls singles winners were Kaylin Bouwer (EP) U16, Delien Kleynhans (FS) U14 and Gabriella Broadfoot (GN) U12.
The 11 titles secured the hosts the overall team trophy.
Ten countries were represented at the Zonal Championships, hosts South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Madagascar, Mozambique, Mauritius and Namibia.
South Africa will now represent the Southern African Zone in the African Junior Championships to be played at the same venue from 8-18 March.
Picture of Delien Kleynhans courtesy of Bruce Davidson Communications
2-Devon Badenhorst (RSA) bt 1-Connor Van Schalkwyk (Nam) 6-0 7-5
6-Carl Roothman (RSA) bt 5-Jason Noel (Mri) 7-5 6-4
1-Phillip Henning (RSA) bt 3-Justin Liebenberg (RSA) 6-2 6-4
1-Gabriela Broadfoot (RSA) bt 7-Line Greyling (RSA) 6-2 6-1
7-Delien Kleynhans (RSA) bt 2-Makyla Loubser (RSA) 6-2 6-4
8-Kaylin Bouwer (RSA) bt 3-Corin De Waal (RSA) 1-6 6-4 6-2