- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
South Africa win 12 of 13 titles at ITF Zonals
- Updated: January 17, 2016
South Africa dominated the ITF Southern African Junior Tennis Championships Zonals which ended at the University of Pretoria Sports Grounds on Saturday.
Of the 13 titles up for grabs after the weeklong event, team South Africa won 12. The only title South Africa failed to capture was the Boys U14 doubles which was won by Mauritius, beating South Africa in the final.
The hosts made a clean sweep in the singles winning the boys and girls titles in the U12, 14 and 16 age groups.
The boys singles winners were Phillip Henning (FS) U16, Carl Roothman (Bol) U14 and Devon Badenhorst (GN) U12. The girls singles winners were Kaylin Bouwer (EP) U16, Delien Kleynhans (FS) U14 and Gabriella Broadfoot (GN) U12.
The 11 titles secured the hosts the overall team trophy.
Ten countries were represented at the Zonal Championships, hosts South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Madagascar, Mozambique, Mauritius and Namibia.
South Africa will now represent the Southern African Zone in the African Junior Championships to be played at the same venue from 8-18 March.
Picture of Delien Kleynhans courtesy of Bruce Davidson Communications
2-Devon Badenhorst (RSA) bt 1-Connor Van Schalkwyk (Nam) 6-0 7-5
6-Carl Roothman (RSA) bt 5-Jason Noel (Mri) 7-5 6-4
1-Phillip Henning (RSA) bt 3-Justin Liebenberg (RSA) 6-2 6-4
1-Gabriela Broadfoot (RSA) bt 7-Line Greyling (RSA) 6-2 6-1
7-Delien Kleynhans (RSA) bt 2-Makyla Loubser (RSA) 6-2 6-4
8-Kaylin Bouwer (RSA) bt 3-Corin De Waal (RSA) 1-6 6-4 6-2