- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
200 Days to go before Rio 2016 Olympics
- Updated: January 17, 2016
Monday, 18 January, 2016 marks exactly 200 days to go before the world’s biggest multi-coded sporting spectacle, the 2016 Olympic Games, gets underway in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The opening ceremony of the Games will take place on 5 August 2016 and the Games, featuring South Africa’s and the globe’s finest athletes, will run for just over two weeks before ending on 21 August.
In the next few months, athletes are gearing up their final training preparations as the various disciplines attempt to make the qualifying standards.
A total of 28 sports will be contested during the 2016 Olympic Games, ranging from archery to wrestling.
‘The year we have been waiting for in our sporting calendar has finally arrived,’ said SASCOC Chief Executive Officer – Mr Tubby Reddy. ‘We have spent the past three years intensely investing in our sports stars and capitalising on all the valuable lessons and experiences we learnt at the 2012 Games in London.
‘We wish all our athletes well as they work towards their final qualifying preparations.”
Each sporting code has a different qualification deadline and with code specific criteria. For more information on deadlines and criteria check the Selection Policies on: http://www.sascoc.co.za/olympics-2016/