- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
200 Days to go before Rio 2016 Olympics
- Updated: January 17, 2016
Monday, 18 January, 2016 marks exactly 200 days to go before the world’s biggest multi-coded sporting spectacle, the 2016 Olympic Games, gets underway in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The opening ceremony of the Games will take place on 5 August 2016 and the Games, featuring South Africa’s and the globe’s finest athletes, will run for just over two weeks before ending on 21 August.
In the next few months, athletes are gearing up their final training preparations as the various disciplines attempt to make the qualifying standards.
A total of 28 sports will be contested during the 2016 Olympic Games, ranging from archery to wrestling.
‘The year we have been waiting for in our sporting calendar has finally arrived,’ said SASCOC Chief Executive Officer – Mr Tubby Reddy. ‘We have spent the past three years intensely investing in our sports stars and capitalising on all the valuable lessons and experiences we learnt at the 2012 Games in London.
‘We wish all our athletes well as they work towards their final qualifying preparations.”
Each sporting code has a different qualification deadline and with code specific criteria. For more information on deadlines and criteria check the Selection Policies on: http://www.sascoc.co.za/olympics-2016/