- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
All systems go for KZN MTB Festival
- Updated: January 15, 2016
As January reaches the halfway mark, the team behind the second annual Pietermaritzburg MTB Festival is already full steam ahead, with preparations well underway for the event taking place at the Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg from 30 April to 2 May.
Event Director, Alec Lenferna says that all the planning and organisation of the festival is well underway, and running smoothly.
‘There has been harvesting of some of the trees at the Park, so that will be giving Nick (Floros) and his team a fair amount of work to do to ensure that the trails are ready beforehand,’ he said.
‘The priority right now is to make sure that each of the courses are at the correct level and standard for each respective competition,’ he added.
Although only sections of the 2014 Mountain bike Marathon World Championship course will be used for the 2016 South African Masters Mountain bike Marathon Champs, Lenferna says that the courses have been specifically built with the riders in mind.
’From the development races, the HC category cross-country event, and the 2016 South African Mountain bike Masters Champs, every course has been designed and built to accommodate the specific level of the riders.’
Lenferna mentioned that multi-faceted festivals such as this one are always a challenge. ‘By having so many different types of racing, we need to ensure that we are able to accommodate everybody,’ he concluded.
SATURDAY 30 APRIL
UCI Junior World Series XCO, UCI Elite XCO HC
SUNDAY 1 MAY
SA Marathon Championships Masters 50+, Development races
MONDAY 2 MAY
Enduro Competition, KZN Inter-Schools MTB Series