- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
Jeffreys Bay duo make progress in Portugal
- Updated: January 8, 2016
Jeffreys Bay’s Dylan Lightfoot and Matt McGillivray advanced directly to Round 3 of the Ericeira WSL Junior Championships in Portugal by winning their respective Round 1 heats on the opening two days of the event which determines the annual undisputed men’s and women’s world junior (20-and-under) champions.
Competing in unruly 1.5-metre waves at the backup venue of Praia dos Pescadores due to huge, stormy surf and adverse winds at the main site of Ribeira D’Ilhas, Lightfoot defeated Costa Rican standout Noe Mar McGonagle and fellow South African Jody Maree (Kalk Bay) in the first heat of the day on Tuesday.
McGillivray posted a pair of high seven point rides in the day’s last heat to dispatch Victor Bernardo (BRA) and Imaikalani Devault (HAW) to the cut-throat Round 2 elimination heats.
The balance of the South African contingent all placed second or third in their opening encounters and will contest Round 2 heats.
WSL Africa women’s junior champion Nicole Pallet (La Lucia) will be up against Hawaiian Dax McGill while Gina Smith (Jeffreys Bay) takes on Portugal’s Camilla Kemp in Round 2.
Maree, Shane Sykes (Salt Rock), Adin Masencamp (Strand) and Bevan Willis (Durban), along with Benji Brand (Kommetjie) who is representing Hawaii at the event, will be in action against opponents yet to be determined when men’s Round 2 man-on-man heats get underway.
Photo of McGillivray courtesy of: WSL/Masurel