- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
Evans nails three as SA indoor side down Aussies
- Updated: December 17, 2015
A remarkable display of skill and leadership from the front by Spar South Africa women’s indoor hockey team captain Celia Evans proved the difference as the home side beat Australia 4-1 at the Spar Four Nations tournament in Westville, KZN on Wednesday evening.
Jon Cook reports that Evans netted a hat-trick of sublime quality and made the other SA goal although it must be said that her team-mates backed the skipper to the hilt in what was a commanding performance.
Evans carved out a superb early goal before more stunning stickwork and a great finish made the score 2-0 to SA seemingly before the Aussies had settled down. Australia beat Namibia 2-1 and SA beat USA 4-3 on Tuesday, so this was a big game. After SA led 2-0 at the break, Kara Stella hit the post from an SA penalty corner but Evans effected a turnover from deep before feeding Megan Robertson who steers the ball into goal for SA to lead 3-0 with 11 minutes left. But Australia immediately won a penalty corner and captain Kyah Gray made no mistake with a pinpoint flick (3-1).
SA then survived a host of Australian assaults before Evans won a turnover and raced down the court with great close control to make the final score 4-1.
Earlier, Namibia were magnificent in pulling off a 3-2 upset win over USA.
Thursday’s fixtures see Australia taking on the US at 7pm and then SA take on Namibia at 8.15pm.
Picture of SA captain Celia Evans on the rampage against Australia courtesy of LB Photography.