- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
- Local caddie bags big bonus after Storm’s win
- Storm stays calm as he holds off McIlroy to win SA Open
- Productive camp for Banyana ahead of French clash
- Storm hits last round of SA Open with three-stroke lead
Evans nails three as SA indoor side down Aussies
- Updated: December 17, 2015
A remarkable display of skill and leadership from the front by Spar South Africa women’s indoor hockey team captain Celia Evans proved the difference as the home side beat Australia 4-1 at the Spar Four Nations tournament in Westville, KZN on Wednesday evening.
Jon Cook reports that Evans netted a hat-trick of sublime quality and made the other SA goal although it must be said that her team-mates backed the skipper to the hilt in what was a commanding performance.
Evans carved out a superb early goal before more stunning stickwork and a great finish made the score 2-0 to SA seemingly before the Aussies had settled down. Australia beat Namibia 2-1 and SA beat USA 4-3 on Tuesday, so this was a big game. After SA led 2-0 at the break, Kara Stella hit the post from an SA penalty corner but Evans effected a turnover from deep before feeding Megan Robertson who steers the ball into goal for SA to lead 3-0 with 11 minutes left. But Australia immediately won a penalty corner and captain Kyah Gray made no mistake with a pinpoint flick (3-1).
SA then survived a host of Australian assaults before Evans won a turnover and raced down the court with great close control to make the final score 4-1.
Earlier, Namibia were magnificent in pulling off a 3-2 upset win over USA.
Thursday’s fixtures see Australia taking on the US at 7pm and then SA take on Namibia at 8.15pm.
Picture of SA captain Celia Evans on the rampage against Australia courtesy of LB Photography.