- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
Cummins is the pick of SA gymnastics trio in Scotland
- Updated: October 26, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
South Africa’s three gymnasts all finished within 10 places of each other in the individual category of the World Artistic Championships in Glasgow, Scotland at the weekend.
Claudia Cummins placed highest, ending 107th with a total score of 49.632.
Then came Bianca Mann in 109th spot with a mark of 49.432 and African Games gold medallist Kirsten Beckett was 117th on 49.132 after a mishap on the beam.
Best individual apparatus score was 20-year-old Cummins’ 13.833 on the vault.
A total of 191 gymnasts from around the globe took part with United States gymnast Simone Biles streets ahead of the pack with a total of 61.698. Runner-up was Switzerland’s Giulia Steingruber(57.640) and another American, Gabrielle Douglas, rounded off the podium with a tally of 57.516.
Cummins has the continental berth for the Rio Olympics next year but SASCOC has ruled out that means of getting to the Games. She’s also a reserve for the Rio test event in April next year.
She told Road to Rio 2016: ‘The comp didn’t go exactly as planned so a little disappointed but I pulled through and definitely tried my best… and yes I’m third reserve for the test event in Rio!’
With there being no team event for South Africa in Glasgow, the gymnasts, along with manager Ilse Roets-Pelser will now return to South Africa and re-assess and regroup to begin training for African Championships in Algeria next year.
Here’s a breakdown of the three women’s individual apparatus scores:
Cummins (vault, 13.833; bar, 11.733, beam, 11.633; floor, 12.433)
Mann (vault, 13.666; bar, 11.500; beam, 11.533; floor, 12.733)
Beckett (vault 13.433; bar, 11.866; beam, 11.833, floor, 12.000)
In the picture are (from left to right): Becket, Mann and Cummins