- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Buis surprises even himself with sprint silver in Doha
- Updated: October 23, 2015
A double medallist at the 2012 Paralympics, Dyan Buis was overjoyed be part of South Africa’s medal chase at the IPC Athletics World Championships in Doha, Qatar on Thursday night.
Buis, who turns 25 next month, took silver in the 200-metre T38 class with a time of 22.75sec as China’s Jianwen Hu won in 22.22.
‘Before my semi-final I was very relaxed and excited to run,’ Buis told Road to Rio 2016. ‘During the race I just wanted to qualify for the final and when I saw it was a season’s best 23.15 I was very excited for the final.
‘I knew I could run sub 23sec and when I saw the time of 22.75 I was very grateful because I’ve been battling with my times this season.’
Elaborating further he went on to say ‘my technique and maximum speed were just weak. I was off for about two months with a hamstring injury and really battled to get my form back.’
But Buis is not done just yet. ‘I’ve still got the 100m and long jump to come and I’m hoping to get a medal in both and season’s best in both as well.’