- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
Final 18-man squad named for Africa Championships
- Updated: October 22, 2015
The South African men’s hockey selectors have named their 18-strong squad to do duty at the Greenfields Africa Hockey Championships, which take place from Friday at Randburg, Johannesburg.
The two goalkeepers, five defenders, five midfielders and six strikers were named on Wednesday after the squad concluded a Johannesburg training camp, reports Jon Cook.
SA men’s selection convenor Allistar Fredericks said it was always sad to have to leave players out. ‘We have gone for experience in the main so a number of talented youngsters can consider themselves unfortunate in some respects,’ said the Atlanta 1996 Olympian.
‘We have also been faced with a situation where a number of our players who ply their trade with overseas clubs were not released for contractual reasons.’
The selection head said the most important thing was for the SA men to get over the Africa hurdle – and that would be achieved by retaining the continental title in this Rio 2016 Olympic Games qualifier event.
Fredericks believes the selectors have succeeded in putting together a nicely balanced team. ‘We have a superb group of forwards, a solid and creative midfield as well as arguably the strongest group of defenders we have had for some time and I’m excited to see what the team can produce.’
The SA men kick off their Africa campaign against Zimbabwe at 7pm on Friday on the Randburg Hockey Stadium turf. The SA women’s opening match is on Saturday, against Nigeria.
Goalkeepers: Rassie Pieterse (Southern Gauteng); Jacques le Roux (Western Province)
Defenders: Daniel Bell, Rhett Halkett (pictured above), Dylan Swanepoel (WP); Matt Guise-Brown (Northern Blues); Jethro Eustice (SG)
Midfielders: Dan Sibbald, Jonty Robinson (KZN Coastal Raiders); Miguel da Graca (SG); Wade Paton, Tim Drummond (WP)
Forwards: Julian Hykes, Brandon Panther (SG); Natius Malgraff (Eastern Province); Richard Pautz (NB); Pierre de Voux, Lloyd Norris-Jones (WP)
Goalkeeper: Gowan Jones (KZR)
Defenders: Mohammed Mea (KZR), Gareth Heyns (SG)
Midfielders: Charlie Bowren (WP Peninsula), Reza Rosenberg (SG)
Forwards: Stephen Cant (NB), Damian Kimfley (KZN Inland)