- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
SA hockey squad named for Africa Olympic Qualifier at Randburg
- Updated: October 9, 2015
The 18-strong South African women’s hockey squad has been named to take part in the Africa Olympic Qualifier Tournament at Randburg Hockey Stadium from 23 October to 1 November.
‘The SA selection panel, comprising of convenor Mickey Gordon, Jo Morley-Jepson and myself debated long and hard about the final 18,’ said national head coach Sheldon Rostron.
‘The composition of the team has been carefully planned to give the nation the best possible chance of success at Randburg.’
Rostron also sent best wishes to SA player Kelly Madsen, who was unavailable due to injury. ‘Kelly is in our thoughts as she recovers from a knee ligament injury and we wish her well in her recovery.’
The SA coach went on to make mention of Sulette Damons, who has also suffered from an ACL ligament tear that has seen the striker out of action for some time. ‘Sulette will be ready for SA duty in the New Year,’ was the encouraging news from the coach.
The full SA team: Sanani Mangisa, Lisa Deetlefs, Christine Roos, Toni Marks, Shelly Russell, Bernie Coston, Lilian du Plessis (all Southern Gauteng); Anelle van Deventer, Celia Evans (both North West); Nicolene Terblanche, Dirkie Chamberlain (both Northern Blues); Candice Manuel, Illse Davids, Jade Mayne, Tarryn Bright (all Western Province); Tanya Britz, Nicole Walraven, Cornelle Botha (all Free State)