- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
Du Preez wins a fourth title at Berlin Marathon
- Updated: September 30, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
London Paralympian Pieter du Preez’s superlative year continued in Germany on Sunday.
After a number of victories at World Cup events and double gold at the UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships in Nottwil, Switzerland, Du Preez turned to his attention to the standard marathon events… in this case, the Berlin Marathon.
He ended up notching a fourth win in the T51 wheelchair category.
‘For the first time as a quad I was called out at the front line up which was quite an honour for me,’ he said.
‘I was hoping for a great performance but it ended up in a “good” performance time wise. I did a time of 2hr 30min and winning the T51 race for the fourth consecutive year is pretty great!
‘It was a tough day for me having to work hard with what felt like a wind against me all the time but maybe it was just me.
‘Nevertheless, it was an awesome marathon to race and an incredible 2015 is just continuing! Team Supapiet is feeling very blessed and thanks for all the support!’