- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
SASCOC rallies behind Springboks after skipper’s injury
- Updated: September 27, 2015
On behalf of the sports movement, SASCOC are saddened by the news that Springbok captain Jean de Villiers has been ruled out of the 2015 Rugby World Cup due to a fractured jaw and extend their best wishes that he makes a speedy recovery.
De Villiers broke his jaw during the match against Samoa on Saturday, a match which left several Springboks injured.
The President of SASCOC, Gideon Sam and SASCOC CEO Tubby Reddy extended their gratitude to De Villiers for his fighting and courageous spirit displayed at the 2015 Rugby World Cup.
Says Reddy, “We are saddened at the news of Jean’s injury at this crucial time but we sincerely commend him for always possessing a winning spirit. Even though he has suffered a number of injuries in the past, and recently just last month in Agentina, he continues to give his best and represents the best aspects of our nation in rugby.”
“While Jean’s withdrawal from the World Cup will be a major drawback to the team, SASCOC and the rest of the nation rallies behind the Springboks and wish them well in the rest of their competition,” added Sam.