- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
SA flag raised at 2015 African Games
- Updated: September 4, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
in Brazzaville, Congo
The South African flag flies proudly at yet another multi-coded sports event.
Friday morning saw the official flag-raising ceremony of the 2015 African Games on the same day of the opening ceremony.
Team SA’s Chef de Mission, Ms Ezera Tshabangu, also handed over a gift to the Athletes’ Village Mayor, Mr Damien Madiki.
South Africa’s flag was the third African nation’s to be hoisted and they shared the flag-raising ceremony with the tiny West African country of Cape Verde Islands.
First flag up the mast is that of the African Union, next is the African Union Sports Council and first country up was Niger.
The ceremony took part just metres away from Team SA’s residence, in Bloc A, named Pointe-Noire after the coastal Congolese city.
In the picture (from left to right), Chef de Mission Ezera Tshabangu hands over the gift to the mayor, as Team SA’s Hugh Everson, Leon Fleiser, partly obscured, Imraan Camroodien, and Siyabonga Kunene look on. Picture by Kagisho Matolong