- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
SA flag raised at 2015 African Games
- Updated: September 4, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
in Brazzaville, Congo
The South African flag flies proudly at yet another multi-coded sports event.
Friday morning saw the official flag-raising ceremony of the 2015 African Games on the same day of the opening ceremony.
Team SA’s Chef de Mission, Ms Ezera Tshabangu, also handed over a gift to the Athletes’ Village Mayor, Mr Damien Madiki.
South Africa’s flag was the third African nation’s to be hoisted and they shared the flag-raising ceremony with the tiny West African country of Cape Verde Islands.
First flag up the mast is that of the African Union, next is the African Union Sports Council and first country up was Niger.
The ceremony took part just metres away from Team SA’s residence, in Bloc A, named Pointe-Noire after the coastal Congolese city.
In the picture (from left to right), Chef de Mission Ezera Tshabangu hands over the gift to the mayor, as Team SA’s Hugh Everson, Leon Fleiser, partly obscured, Imraan Camroodien, and Siyabonga Kunene look on. Picture by Kagisho Matolong