- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
First SA sports codes arrive in Congo for African Games
- Updated: August 31, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
The advance guard of Team South Africa have arrived safely in Brazzaville, Congo for the 2015 African Games.
The Games get underway on Friday and will continue till 19 September.
South Africa will be competing in 15 of the 22 sporting codes and four of those codes are now already in the French speaking city of Brazzaville. They are: badminton, boxing, fencing and gymnastics.
After successfully completing the accreditation validation process the team members proceeded through the Comite D’Organisation Jeux Africa (COJA), the African Games Organising Committee and on to the Games Village where they have now settled in.
Good news for Team SA that accommodation is of high quality with only two people occupying an on suite bedroom.
This is the first for an African Games. Although, as with all major multi-code Games,
there are still a few challenges, the LOC is trying their best to work through and solve them on a daily basis to ensure that the athletes are comfortable.
The various code managers immediately got on with the task of familiarising themselves with competition venues, dining halls and establishing training times etc. The majority of Team SA will travel to Brazzaville this Wednesday and again, a week later when there is a change over of sporting codes on the programme.
Television network, Sport 5 will cover and broadcast the games.
SASCOC wishes the team of more than 150 athletes all the best in the 11th edition of the African Games which return to Brazzaville for the 50th anniversary of the Games.