- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
Amawheelaboys beat Roller Blacks to take series
- Updated: August 31, 2015
The Sasol South African senior men’s wheelchair basketball team recorded a comprehensive 87-38 win over the New Zealand Roller Blacks at the Mandeville Sports Centre, Johannesburg, on Sunday, to take an unbeatable 3-0 lead in the five Test Sasol All Star Series.
Following convincing wins over the New Zealanders at the same venue on Friday (95-35) and Saturday (87-31), the visitors produced a passionate display of wheelchair basketball in the first quarter, and only some firm defending by the Sasol Amawheelaboys allowed the home side to lead 16-11 after 10 minutes of play.
The second quarter belonged to the South Africans, with Gift Mooketsi setting up several raids on the New Zealand goal area to see the Sasol Amawheelaboys 48-11 ahead at half time. By the end of the third quarter, the South Africans held a 74-28 lead.
Sasol Amawheelaboys head coach Franck Belen thanked the crowd for their loyal support given to the national team throughout the series so far.
‘The Sasol All Star Series is the anticipated time of the year that the Sasol Amawheelaboys play in South Africa, and the crowd attendances are certainly larger than when the national team played against the French Invitation team here at Mandeville last year,’ said Belen.
Referring to the South African team’s performance, Belen added: ‘I am never one to single out players as this is a team sport, but I’m happy with the progress being made by the players and will look to finish off the Sasol All Star Series as positively as possible in the remaining two Tests.’
The remaining two Sasol All Star Series internationals between the two teams will take place on Friday (7pm) and Saturday (6pm).