- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
SA swimmers still hunting finals in Singapore
- Updated: August 27, 2015
Wednesday’s second day of the FINA World Junior Championships in Singapore saw another day of no finals or medals for South Africa.
On the opening day Jarryd Baxter had gone closest to making the final when he ended 11th in the 400-metre freestyle.
Best result on the second day was the mixed 4x100m medley relay where Mariella Venter, Daniel Swanepoel, Hannah Mclean-Leonard and Matthew Meyer came in 12th with a time of 4min 05.51sec.
Baxter was again in action, racing the 200m individual medley and the 200m freestyle, finishing 17th and 29th in 2:04.17 and 1:52.99, respectively, while Dayne Odendaal came in 22nd in the 200m individual medley in 2:06.74 and later on ended 41st in the 100m butterfly in 56.46.
In the 100m butterfly, Ude Fuchs swam to 31st place with a time of 55.82 and Kyle van Niekerk came 33rd in the 200m freestyle in 1:53.60.
On the girls’ side, Mclean-Leonard came in 49th place in the 100m freestyle in 1:01.18, ahead of teammate Jade Neser in 51st place with a time of 1:01.24.
Carmen le Roux, who took part in open water action at the recent FINA senior world championships, finished 30th in the 200m butterfly, clocking 2:20.83.
The junior championships continues on Wednesday with Erin Anderson and Mclean-Leonard swimming the 50m butterfly, Sean Moodley the 50m backstroke and 50m freestyle, Emily Visage and Neser the 100m breaststroke, Fuchs the 50m backstroke, Van Niekerk the 50m freestyle, Venter the 200m backstroke and Josha Dannhauser the 800m freestyle.