- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
- Sunshine Classic will see the Chase hotting up
- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
SA trio in with a shout at Whistling Straits
- Updated: August 14, 2015
Golf’s last major of the year, the PGA Championships at Whistling Straits, Kohler (US) saw a trio of South Africans five shots off the pace after Friday’s first round.
After carding scores of 71 (one under par), it was Ernie Els, Branden Grace and Rory Sabbatini leading the way for South Africa.
A level-par 72 saw US Open Championship runner-up Louis Oosthuizen another shot back while 2011 Masters Champion Charl Schwartzel was a further shot back.
Eight South Africans are in action – the other three are George Coetzee (74), Tim Clark (75) and Johan Kok (77).
First round leader is Dustin Johnson with a score of 66 which included an eagle and five birdies.
He leads by one shot from Sweden’s David Lingmerth.
Pictures of Els, courtesy of golfweek.com