- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
SA trio in with a shout at Whistling Straits
- Updated: August 14, 2015
Golf’s last major of the year, the PGA Championships at Whistling Straits, Kohler (US) saw a trio of South Africans five shots off the pace after Friday’s first round.
After carding scores of 71 (one under par), it was Ernie Els, Branden Grace and Rory Sabbatini leading the way for South Africa.
A level-par 72 saw US Open Championship runner-up Louis Oosthuizen another shot back while 2011 Masters Champion Charl Schwartzel was a further shot back.
Eight South Africans are in action – the other three are George Coetzee (74), Tim Clark (75) and Johan Kok (77).
First round leader is Dustin Johnson with a score of 66 which included an eagle and five birdies.
He leads by one shot from Sweden’s David Lingmerth.
Pictures of Els, courtesy of golfweek.com