- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
SA trio in with a shout at Whistling Straits
- Updated: August 14, 2015
Golf’s last major of the year, the PGA Championships at Whistling Straits, Kohler (US) saw a trio of South Africans five shots off the pace after Friday’s first round.
After carding scores of 71 (one under par), it was Ernie Els, Branden Grace and Rory Sabbatini leading the way for South Africa.
A level-par 72 saw US Open Championship runner-up Louis Oosthuizen another shot back while 2011 Masters Champion Charl Schwartzel was a further shot back.
Eight South Africans are in action – the other three are George Coetzee (74), Tim Clark (75) and Johan Kok (77).
First round leader is Dustin Johnson with a score of 66 which included an eagle and five birdies.
He leads by one shot from Sweden’s David Lingmerth.
Pictures of Els, courtesy of golfweek.com