- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
Powerhouse Pretorius ups her game with new SA records
- Updated: August 14, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
Commonwealth Games weightlifter Mona Pretorius continues to raise the bar in her efforts to be part of Team South Africa at next year’s Rio Olympic Games.
The Port Elizabeth based powerhouse lifter took part in the national championships in Johannesburg last week.
And the little lifter’s returns would have made her one happy woman coming the weekend before she celebrated her 27th birthday on Wednesday
‘I broke two national senior records and was made Champ of Champs at the competition as well as qualified for the World Championships later this year,’ she told Road to Rio 2016.
‘My new records are a 112 clean and jerk and a total of 197kg,’ she said proudly. ‘The old marks were 108 and 190kg.
‘Next on the table are the world championships in Houston, Texas in November and I’ll be training in the US for the worlds.
‘I’ll be back at Forth Worth with training Dutch Lowy and all of this is in preparation for the Rio Olympics,’ she concluded.
Also qualifying to join Pretorius at World Championships is Andy Phillips while Greg Shushu was voted the best Male Lifter of the Championships.