- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Powerhouse Pretorius ups her game with new SA records
- Updated: August 14, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
Commonwealth Games weightlifter Mona Pretorius continues to raise the bar in her efforts to be part of Team South Africa at next year’s Rio Olympic Games.
The Port Elizabeth based powerhouse lifter took part in the national championships in Johannesburg last week.
And the little lifter’s returns would have made her one happy woman coming the weekend before she celebrated her 27th birthday on Wednesday
‘I broke two national senior records and was made Champ of Champs at the competition as well as qualified for the World Championships later this year,’ she told Road to Rio 2016.
‘My new records are a 112 clean and jerk and a total of 197kg,’ she said proudly. ‘The old marks were 108 and 190kg.
‘Next on the table are the world championships in Houston, Texas in November and I’ll be training in the US for the worlds.
‘I’ll be back at Forth Worth with training Dutch Lowy and all of this is in preparation for the Rio Olympics,’ she concluded.
Also qualifying to join Pretorius at World Championships is Andy Phillips while Greg Shushu was voted the best Male Lifter of the Championships.