- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
SA athletes win 61 medals at Special Olympics in LA
- Updated: August 12, 2015
The recent Special Olympics Summer World Games in Los Angeles, United States saw South Africa bringing home 61 medals.
The Games provided the platform for athletes with intellectual disabilities to rise above the typical stereotype of daily exclusion and isolation and the team’s phenomenal abilities were celebrated on their return last week.
The six-day event saw Special Olympics South Africa send a team of 88 individuals to represent the country.
The team competed in 10 different sporting codes: soccer, table tennis, futsal, bocce, golf, aquatics, ten-pin bowling, athletics, basketball and equestrian.
South African medals consisted of 17 gold, 20 silver and 24 bronze. On their return they were greeted by a cheering crowd of friends and family as well as Special Olympics South Africa Chairperson, Dr Mathews Phosa, Deputy Chairperson Dr Danisa Baloyi, Provincial Department of Sport and Education MEC Wendy Matsemela and sponsors.
The team went on to thank all the sponsors that made their trip possible: NLDTF, Department of Sport and Recreation, Birchwood hotel, Gift of the Givers, Herbalife, Dischem, Futurelife, North West Department of Education, Midmar Mile, SANESA and many individual sponsors who contributed from their own pockets.