- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
SA athletes win 61 medals at Special Olympics in LA
- Updated: August 12, 2015
The recent Special Olympics Summer World Games in Los Angeles, United States saw South Africa bringing home 61 medals.
The Games provided the platform for athletes with intellectual disabilities to rise above the typical stereotype of daily exclusion and isolation and the team’s phenomenal abilities were celebrated on their return last week.
The six-day event saw Special Olympics South Africa send a team of 88 individuals to represent the country.
The team competed in 10 different sporting codes: soccer, table tennis, futsal, bocce, golf, aquatics, ten-pin bowling, athletics, basketball and equestrian.
South African medals consisted of 17 gold, 20 silver and 24 bronze. On their return they were greeted by a cheering crowd of friends and family as well as Special Olympics South Africa Chairperson, Dr Mathews Phosa, Deputy Chairperson Dr Danisa Baloyi, Provincial Department of Sport and Education MEC Wendy Matsemela and sponsors.
The team went on to thank all the sponsors that made their trip possible: NLDTF, Department of Sport and Recreation, Birchwood hotel, Gift of the Givers, Herbalife, Dischem, Futurelife, North West Department of Education, Midmar Mile, SANESA and many individual sponsors who contributed from their own pockets.