- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Limberg leads the way as he dominates NAG Series in PMB
- Updated: July 8, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
A member of Team South Africa at the Youth Olympics in China last year, BMX cyclist Alex Limberg is flying high right now.
The Johannesburg teenager, pictured above in No208, raced his way to more honours at the weekend’s fifth and six legs of the National Age Group (NAG) Series at Pietermaritzburg’s Alexandra Park.
Limberg, who also raced in Manchester at a Super Cup event recently, was the man in the hot seat in KwaZulu-Natal.
‘Still buzzing about winning my first elite national this weekend, it’s really a feeling I can’t describe,’ were Limberg’s initial words on social site Facebook.
He’s since found a bit more time to elaborate to Road to Rio 2016.
‘It was on Saturday and Sunday, three heats and a semi-final and three finals. Saturday I won all the races, Sunday I won the three heats, the semi and two finals so almost a clean sweep of “Ones”!
‘We were at the track since Monday and I was actually battling with the track.
‘So far this is the biggest victory for me. Next will be the Alrode NAG then Grand Nationals, racing for elite numbers.’
Limberg matriculated at Bracken High in Alberton last year and for this year its BMX and still more BMX before he makes any decisions about studies.