- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
- SA wheelchair tennis rocked by tragedy
Murray bags back to back Bundesliga titles
- Updated: June 29, 2015
South African Olympic and Commonwealth Games triathlete Richard Murray has won two consecutive races in the German Bundesliga… a first in his already impressive career.
On Sunday Murray followed up his victory in Kraichgau with one in Dusseldorf. Both were raced over sprint distances.
According to Murray he was happy with all three disciplines and that his hard work is starting to pay off with the second part of the WTS season still to come.
‘On Sunday the weather was sublime and I enjoyed the day so much. After the swim we had to run barefoot for some 400m on cobbles… thinking about it now hurts! The bike leg was pretty wild.
‘There was a huge crash and one of my teammates ,Justus Nieschlag, went down in the crash and broke his shoulder when another athlete went straight over him with the bike. He hit the ground very hard.’
According to Murray the transition from bike to run was very important because the group was still quite big. “I pushed hard at 1km to get to the front. From there I stayed at the front of the race and went for it with just more than a kilometre to go. I managed to open a gap of some 10 seconds. The lungs were burning for sure.’
Murray added that he had a great time in Dusseldorf again. ‘I am so happy to get my second victory in consecutive Bundesliga events. It is a first for me.’
The next event for Murray is WTS Hamburg next month. He will spend the next few weeks in Les Angles in Southern France where he’ll be training at high altitude.