- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
Ace racer Strauss is on the rocks again
- Updated: June 29, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
Team South Africa’s Commonwealth Games mountainbiker Mariske Strauss is in the wars again!
The multiple national cross-country champion injured herself in Games warm-up action in Glasgow but rode a gutsy race to end 10th.
Recently finally recovered from a series of injury and health setbacks, this weekend she was preparing for the final round of the 2015 Stihl SA MTB Cup Series DHI at Cascades MTB, Pietermaritzburg.
But a practice crash in the infamous Treehouse section on Thursday sees the Durbanville based rider anything but over the moon over her form. In fact she’s now sporting a large protective moon boot on her lower right leg.
‘I had only just just recovered and it was only like two weeks ago that I actually told myself “Hey this is the first time since my injury that I actually feel ‘normal’ again.’
‘I had scans down and apparently have a high ankle sprain/syndemosis as well as tearing some other ligaments in my ankle but I’ll be back soon soon,’ she told Road to Rio 2016.
‘The medical peoples say I’ll be out of action for about four weeks apparently.
‘It happened on that crazy rocky section on the course. And the real crazy thing was that I was through the worst of it. On my way out I hit a rock incorrectly that sent me off my line and straight into a rock …’