- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Ace racer Strauss is on the rocks again
- Updated: June 29, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
Team South Africa’s Commonwealth Games mountainbiker Mariske Strauss is in the wars again!
The multiple national cross-country champion injured herself in Games warm-up action in Glasgow but rode a gutsy race to end 10th.
Recently finally recovered from a series of injury and health setbacks, this weekend she was preparing for the final round of the 2015 Stihl SA MTB Cup Series DHI at Cascades MTB, Pietermaritzburg.
But a practice crash in the infamous Treehouse section on Thursday sees the Durbanville based rider anything but over the moon over her form. In fact she’s now sporting a large protective moon boot on her lower right leg.
‘I had only just just recovered and it was only like two weeks ago that I actually told myself “Hey this is the first time since my injury that I actually feel ‘normal’ again.’
‘I had scans down and apparently have a high ankle sprain/syndemosis as well as tearing some other ligaments in my ankle but I’ll be back soon soon,’ she told Road to Rio 2016.
‘The medical peoples say I’ll be out of action for about four weeks apparently.
‘It happened on that crazy rocky section on the course. And the real crazy thing was that I was through the worst of it. On my way out I hit a rock incorrectly that sent me off my line and straight into a rock …’