- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
National champion Palframan bags 200m victory in Spain
- Updated: June 22, 2015
Justine Palframan was the pick of South African athletes at the weekend’s XV Reunion Internacional Villa de Bilbao meeting in northern Spain, writes Mark Etheridge.
Palframan was a comfortable winner of the women’s 200m, the South African 200/400m champion clocking 23.28 to beat local athlete Patricia Lopez (25.40) by more than a second.
A happy Stellenbosch coach, Mohamed Ally congratulated Palframan: ‘Well done on your great victory in Bilbao… a winning time of 23.28 with a win of +0.1m/s. A commanding victory and great preparation for the upcoming World Students and IAAF Senior World Championships.’
Palframan now heads back to the training base in Gemona, Italy before meetings in Poland later this week and Slovenia early next month.
The KwaZulu-Natal athlete was one of a handful of SA athletes in action.
In the men’s sprints, Gideon Trotter ran 10.33 to end second in his 100m heat but was unable to improve on that time and placed third in the final (10.44) behind Cuba’s Roberto Skyers (10.28).
The middle distances saw Rynhardt van Rensburg second (1:46.789) in the 800m won by Nader Belhanbel of Morocco (1:45.83) while Hannes Naude was fourth in the B final (1:48.64).
Anuschka Nice was ninth in the women’s 800m final with a time of 2:08.42 behind Cuba’s Rose Almanza (2:00.49) while Dumisane Hlaselo was fifth in the 1500m (3:40.44) behind Morocco’s Amine Laalou (3:38.08).