- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
Hayes grabs double gold in Grosseto
- Updated: June 15, 2015
By Mark Etheridge
The world’s fastest female T13 Paralympic athlete, Ilse Hayes wrapped up a successful weekend of action with two gold medals at the IPC Athletics Grand Prix event in Grosseto, Italy.
She won both her 100 and 200m events clocking 12.42 and 25.25 seconds respectively.
Those times, on the face of it, might not seem overally impressive in the light of her recent form but elements conspired against her this weekend.
‘It was good case of application this weekend. The plan was not to focus on the times but to apply skills we have worked on in training,’ the Stellenbosch athlete told Road to Rio 2016.
‘The wind was hectic, my 100m was against a 3.3 metre/sec win and my 200m against 3m/s wind.
‘So I had to fight against it. But if you take the wind into consideration my times were not far off when I ran in Brazil.
‘I’m very happy about that because it means we have a better base to work from. I also had the chance to apply what I needed to so that’s a big positive.
‘Overall it was a good competition and well organised. I had my Ukraine competition here so that heloed a lot.’
In the men’s T37 final it was London Paralymians Fanie van der Merwe and Charl du Toit fighting things out and it was the latter who proved stronger over the last 10m to win in 23.79 from Van der Merwe (23.98s).
Next up for Hayes and the small band of South African para-athletes is the Berlin Open in Germany this weekend.